General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

AC Condenser Dead - Dealer Says Non-Warranty!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 08:25 PM
HondaNH
Unregistered
Default AC Condenser Dead - Dealer Says Non-Warranty!!

I have a 2006 Honda Accord - in warranty.
The AC stopped on Friday night on the way home from work. Per the dealership (they looked at it today), the condenser is dead. Now the catch! It's not a "warranty" item, as it was damaged by a rock or other road debris, has a dent, and that's why it's broke. I checked around and found this is a known issue and at best, a design flaw with Honda's. I'm now looking at a $650+ bill on Monday.
Q: is there a recall and/or wording I can use with Honda to get them to pay for this repair? I've read that some people get it covered and others don't?
Q: is there a e-mail address directly to Honda Customer Support?

Thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 07-21-2007, 08:46 PM
Default RE: AC Condenser Dead - Dealer Says Non-Warranty!!

Sorry for your dilemma. This took one second on google:

http://automobiles.honda.com/informa...relations.aspx

It's also in your owners manual.[sm=trust_me.gif]

Old 07-21-2007, 09:00 PM
HondaNH
Unregistered

While I appreciate the generic Honda link and info from the book (which I already had), I'm looking more for a specific e-mail address or contact that someone has at Honda.
My thought is this: This is a known issue, there have been recalls, and Honda built a crappy product if it fails from some road debris.
I'm looking for an inside track to make Honda setup to the plate and pay for this repair.

Thanks!

Old 07-21-2007, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

The phone number to Customer relation is in the "generic" link.
I can't imagine what more you could ask for than to speak to a real live person.
As far as recalls about the condensor getting hit by debris, I searched the Honda ISIS network and found no information. Do you have a recall, or TSBnumber?
I realize this isn't fun and games to have to pay for the damage; maybe you have full coverage insurance?

This situation however is the same as if you ran over something in the road and blew out a tire and bent the rim.
The manufacturer isn't going to pay for that either.

Don't shoot the messenger [sm=innoc.gif]

Old 07-21-2007, 09:39 PM

Frankly I don't know what you are actually seeking. You have a phone number ande-mail address. Use them or pay the fee and go on with it. If you have solid proof of recalls for EXACTLY the same problem then good for you but somehow I doubt it. Pick up the phone and call.

Best of luck with the problem.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:40 PM
HondaNH
Unregistered

Do you know if the Customer Service number gets me a person in the US or a very nice Indian person reading from a script who will only make my day worse? (outsourcing - the worse thing to happen to the US - sorry, I digress).
I don't have any specific recall numbers yet, that's why I was asking. From my Google searches, it sounds as if a lot of people have been effected by this Condenser issue and road debris. I believe I read one post that said there was a recall in 2003 to fix the issue - I guess Honda is still working on that fix??
I agree that if I hit a pothole, busted up my tire, etc... it would be Honda's fault. However if there are strings of complaints and what appears to be a common and/or known issue with the Condenser's failing due to road debris, than the manufactor (Honda) should fix the design flaw.
I have owned Fords, Dodges, Toyotas, and now this Honda - this is the first car in 20+ years to ever have an AC issue - especially an AC issue that was caused by road debris. I feel Honda should eat the cost on these repairs and based on what I've read, many others agree and have had success in getting Honda to pay.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:44 PM
HondaNH
Unregistered

What I'm hoping to gain from this post is an answer or someone who has had this exact issue. I want to know how it was resolved with Honda and/or if it was ever resolved with Honda.
If there is a known issue or recall - haveing that info would be great too. But from the previous post, it doesn't sound like there is a recall or service notice for this.

Does that help clarify my need? I'm looking at options, wording, and/or avenues to insure Honda pays for this service. I'll eat the cost up-front, but I'll fight all the way for a payment back. Similar thing happend with a Dodge I had - and they paid me back. Out of warranty and/or a "no" is not an acceptable answer to me from Honda.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:46 PM

I have no idea if Honda answers their "bitch" line from India or Mars. Why not pickup the phoneand try it instead of wasting your time here?????????????

Good luck, I'm done with this one. I would also be upset but you are in a forum talking to "God knows who" insted of talking to Honda. If the problem is theirs talk to them to try and clear up the issue. I hope you can find others with the same issue who can help you.

Old 07-21-2007, 10:37 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

How is a rock flying up and putting a hole in the condensor a design flaw? If the same rock flew up and cracked your windshield would you still be whineing about design flaws?

Old 07-21-2007, 11:56 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I feel for your dilemma ,, but if you are saying that a rock flew and cracked the a/c condensor and it leaks,, there is no way that Honda or any other car makers should cover it , , and by the way like it was stated how can you really even ask if it is a design flow if something gets hit by a rock at god knows what speed you were traveling ..
your auto isurance might help you out ..

Quick Reply: AC Condenser Dead - Dealer Says Non-Warranty!!