General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

AC Condenser Dead - Dealer Says Non-Warranty!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 07:15 AM
HondaNH
Unregistered
Default RE: AC Condenser Dead - Dealer Says Non-Warranty!!

To those of you that have offered insightful dialog, thank you.
For the rest:
WAH! I posted on your forum seeking advise before I called Honda as they're not open on Sat/Sun.
WAH! I'm "bitching" about a AC Condenser that was damaged by road debris. YES, I am bitching about this as in 20 years I've NEVER had any road debris damage any functional part of an engine. Windsheilds, yup. Tires, sure. Outside paint, absolutely! But never have I had any part of my engine be damaged by "magical road debris". That is a design flaw, period! Honda's need more plastic up front, better grills, or something to proctect that part if indeed if a "pebble" can take it out.

Based on the number of Google posts I see about this issue, I really had hoped and anticipated a better response to my question. But there seems to be a whole lot of "WAH" from you fellow Honda owners. Sorry I took the time to ask a question.... and that you're that brand loyal to basically tell me to "suck it up".

Old 07-22-2007, 09:05 AM

Brand loyalty has zero to do with any of this. Could they have protected the part better? Perhaps, but to call it a design flaw is a bit much. **** happens! It is unfortunate that it happened to you but the most you could possibly hope for is Honda to kick in with partial payment or supply a part. That is a long stretch at best and likely won't happen. Just because people here are not telling you what you want to hear is no reason to get snippy. I hope that something good comes of this when you call Honda on Monday. You might want to devise a means of protectingthe partin the future for peace of mind.

We are all on your side but justdon't think you are being realistic about the situation. Two of the people answering you are professional Honda Techs and have a good idea of what can/will be warrantied or not. Let's all hope we're wrong and you get a sympathetic ear when you call Honda.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:36 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

RtexasF beat me to the punch.....
as i was going to same basically the same that he did..

we all feel for you and your dilemma and the possibility of having to pay such a sum of money , but just because you did not get the reply ( support ) you expected, does not mean we are against you..
we all hope that by you calling Honda they will pay it in full or at least partially ..But i have been in the auto business for many years and i have yet to see a manufacture cover a part under warranty because of natural cause ( rock, nail, tree, hail etc etc,,) I haver also replaced a few condensor because of the same thing that happen to you and not just on Hondas but Toyotas, Lexus, Acuras.Nissans ..(.not as new a year as yours .)

What you might want to do, is to install a mesh screen in the frt area to possibly keep the same thing from happening in the future
Again we are all on your side and hope that it will be covered without any money loss from you .
Call HOA ( honda of america ) and express your dissatisfaction ,, maybe they will help

Old 07-22-2007, 11:12 AM

ORIGINAL: HondaNH

Based on the number of Google posts I see about this issue, I really had hoped and anticipated a better response to my question.
We're just telling you how it is. If you can find the right person to whine and cry to at honda they may give you a goodwill repair. I doubt it though.

BTW, I searched google and found one accord listed with a busted up condensor. The rock that did it also broke his bumper.

Old 07-22-2007, 01:29 PM

Wow! I havent been on this board in weeks, and what a thread to pick to read first... This is not a design flaw, nor a recall... Recalls are for saftey related issues...

My question for you HondaNH is, how often do you visit your honda dealer? At the dealership where I work if a customer that has had a good history with us (ie. reg oil changes and other services) Has a problem such as yours we will usually bend the rules to help the loyal customer out... but were not going to bend the rules for someone who just somes in with only warranty issues oncein awhile

[/align]

Old 07-22-2007, 01:57 PM

ORIGINAL: wietgr

My question for you HondaNH is, how often do you visit your honda dealer? At the dealership where I work if a customer that has had a good history with us (ie. reg oil changes and other services) Has a problem such as yours we will usually bend the rules to help the loyal customer out... but were not going to bend the rules for someone who just somes in with only warranty issues oncein awhile

[/align]
isn't that funny how that works. my honda has regular maintance done at mine. my key was worn out and wound lock the glove box or trunk.the parts guy wanted to charge like 100$ for new one. i talked to my service rep and he came back with the key and told me to have a nice day and he would see me next month.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:01 PM

if i were in your shoes, i'd be fighting the same battle.

but since I am not, i dont think you have a lot of options. I'd have a hard time arguing in your favor. Sounds like a sh*tty break.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:16 PM

wow, because of people like the OP, the world is messed up. Stop and think about what you are saying.........it is not Honda's fault your condensor was damaged by a rock. that is one of the hazzards of driving.

Old 07-23-2007, 10:15 PM

i wouldnt go so far as to say that...i mean, put yourself in his shoes...

...hopefully you wouldnt act the same way (he does seem to have a chip on his monitor), but, i would think you'd at least try to get someone else to pay for it...as long as it wasnt in a dishonest way.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:21 AM

1st of all, I do sympathize with you. that truly sucks.
Are you SURE it was damaged by a rock or some other type of road debris? I bet you havePhysical Damageinsurance coverage on your car don't you? If it was truly damaged by road debris or a rock it is not Honda's fault. Besides maybe not shielding the compressor well enough, but the engineers can't think of everything.
Furthermore, normal insurance policies do not cover mechanical breakdown. That is why you need to be SURE it was actually damaged by aroad hazard and is not simply mechanical failure. If your insurance tells you it is a mechanicalfailure, tell them to call theHonda dealership that told you it was damaged by a rock. The insurance companyWILL find out the truth (if they are worth a crap anyways.) One of them has to pay for it. The only downside is if the insurance pays (appears likely in this case), you will be responsible for the deductible.

Quick Reply: AC Condenser Dead - Dealer Says Non-Warranty!!