General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

AC help

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2021, 03:41 PM
Default AC help

I have a 2008 accord w/ v6 (awesome engine) and the AC started to act like it was low on r134a, compressor sort of coming on, then going off and assumed that I was low on freon like so many countless cars I have owned in the past. So I popped by Walmart and got one of those recharge kits with the hose/gauge and the "cold juice". To my surprise when I hooked up the gauge and before I put any freon into my system it was telleing me my system was overcharged... Like all the way. When I disconnect the gauge it red 0. I disconnected the freon cannister from the hose and reconnected it to the hight pressure side (only one side will fit right, unless Honda swapped them for some reason?) and as soon as the gauge was pressurized it read way full... to full. I never added freon before to this car. I have added too much to another honda which I love and wish to own another one again (1991 Acura Integra GS) some day, and killed the compressor. This is the first time that I ever peeked at the AC system on my 2008 Accord and it read too high??? If anyone has any advice for me before I dig into my "virgin" car and start throwing dollars at it. Probably I should take it to my local car shop and have them hook their stuff too it, but I was wondering. Why would the AC act like it is low on freon, starting and stopping, but then read high. Yes this is a primitive gauge and do not have access to the cool three hi/low/? . But I never had a vehicle I could not fix... and my wife is mad at me too because I don't trust mechanics. I fix things, I'm from Texas, we fixin everything lol. But if anyone has any advice please pm me, or email me ooberops@mail.com. g Also If anyone has any insight as to WHY they put the alarm brain in the factory radio... I wanted and successfully installed a kenwood excelon touch screen head unit with a back up camera for my wife. Now the alarm doesn't work. Door locks don't work. My wife is pissed at me. Is there a way around it. I still have the stock radio but it was SO MUCH WORK installing everything. Is the brain for the keyless entry in the radio or is it a security thing that I can unlock? I love my Honda! For right now I need advice on the Air Con. Like I said. I never touched a car I couldn't at least maintain. Please help!

Old 10-23-2021, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

I would guess that the alarm is part of the PCM and not the radio, but I'm not 100% sure. I'm not sure if/how the factory alarm with the factory radio vs aftermarket You may need to search the web to find a fix or a tip on proper installation.

For the a/c system. You can't assume you are low on R134a unless you measure the high and low pressure in the system along with outside air temps, vent temperature, and humidity. You must use an a/c manifold with the pressure gauges connected to the high and low side. I think some parts stores have these as loaner tools. You must measure the pressures with the engine running and the a/c compressor clutch engaged. You may have been using the gauge on the can with the compressor not running. I would never use that gauge on the can or you can damage a good a/c system like on your Acura.

If the compressor is not running, both high and low sides will equilibrate and have the same pressure. The pressure reading with the compressor off will be about the same as the outside temperature, so a measurement at 80 °F is about 80 psi regardless if you have proper or low charge in the system.

Never connect anything except an a/c manifold to the high pressure line on an a/c system.

When just measuring pressures on your a/c system with an a/c manifold, make sure both valves on the a/c pressure gauge are shut off. The manifold will still read the pressure. Those valves on the manifold open to the middle line where you either add R-134a or connect a vacuum pump. If those valves are left open, you can have the R-134a escape the system.

Hope this makes sense.