General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Accord 1992 2.0i does not start when warm

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2022, 02:19 PM
Default Accord 1992 2.0i does not start when warm

For the past months i have been trying to get this Honda to work properly.

The car starts right up no problem. Its running fine and is driveable for short distances.

when i push the gas pedal all the way down it starts jumping and dies. But starts right up.

i live in a cold environment and it can easily get -30°C and quickly change to +4°C during winter. But when i drive it inside and let it sit for a bit, it does not start at all. It cranks. I can hear main relay pgmfi click and fuel pump prime. Sometimes there is a check engine light, sometimes not. But the car wont fire. I let it sit for a bit and the engine cools down and then it starts for a bit but dies quickly.

so far i have changed all ignition parts and ive changed Main Fuel Pump Relay (pgmfi). I have checked fuses. Ive done fill service all filters.

My guess is bad internal wiring harness. How can i solve this... i have read countless forums with people with slightly same problems but never seen a complete solution. I am infinitally grateful for all respons as i have a deadline in a month!

thanks.

Old 02-28-2022, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

2 different no-start conditions exist crank/no-start or no-crank/no start and change what you need to check. When you turn the key to the start position, does the starter crank the engine, but the engine will not run on its own where you normally release the key (crank/no-start), or does nothing happen (no-crank/no start)?

Old 03-01-2022, 02:12 AM

It cranks but doesnt start. But only when hot..

Old 03-01-2022, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

I'm guessing a 2.0L 1992 accord is a non-US version?

Was any work done to the car not long before you had this problem?

Try to read codes even if the CEL light is not on, because the ECU can store codes. There is a writeup in the diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum that may apply to your car.

You will need to determine if the crank/no-start is due to lack of spark or lack of fuel. A quick test is to remove the snorkel to the throttle body while you try to start the car. If the engine runs (even poorly) while spraying starting fluid, then you'll need to troubleshoot a fuel issue.

If you have a spark tester, you can pull a spark plug wire and test for spark. There are several youtube videos on how to test for spark.

Old 03-02-2022, 07:12 AM

When it doesnt want to start. It gets neither fuel nor spark. Alltough after changing main fuel relay i think fuel is coming but ive checked all spark related things and as said changed everything.

Old 03-08-2022, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

The US version of the 92 accord was a 2.2L engine. What country is your accord located?

When you say you replaced all ignition parts, which parts did you replace?

Old 03-09-2022, 06:45 AM

Norway. Dont know if it is Asian or American produce. Plugs, wires, rotor cap, rotor and coil.