General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Accord 2018 cig port not working properly

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 11:34 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Question Accord 2018 cig port not working properly

Hello,

This morning while I tried a cig inverter to charge a battery, the battery was drawing about 97 watts for 30 seconds or so, then I heard a few seconds of clicking sound near the odometer. Right at that moment, the power dropped. After that, the cig port still shows around 14.3V, but I can only get a few watts. I can still power a dashcam but cannot charge the battery anymore as if there is no power. This is the front cig port.

(The console cig port still works fine to charge the battery. )

Does anyone know what could be the problem?

Thanks

Old 01-10-2024, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Since you have voltage to the port, then the fuses can't be blown. I'd suspect you have a problem with the relay making poor contact, a loose connection on the power socket, a faulty power socket, or maybe a flaky ground to restrict current.

I don't have a 2018 wiring diagram, but I suspect the relay is in the under dash fuse box on the driver's side. Hopefully the fuse box cover or maybe the owner's manual has the relays labeled and you can try swapping the aux power relay with an identical one nearby.

This is the easiest test to rule out the relay. After that, you'll likely need a test light and dig into the console to test the power and ground to that aux power connector.

Old 01-11-2024, 06:14 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I'd suspect you have a problem with the relay making poor contact, a loose connection on the power socket, a faulty power socket, or maybe a flaky ground to restrict current.
...try swapping the aux power relay with an identical one nearby.
Thanks. I'll try to identify if these are the problems. And use another inverter to check also.

Old 06-11-2024, 11:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Since you have voltage to the port, then the fuses can't be blown. I'd suspect you have a problem with the relay making poor contact, a loose connection on the power socket, a faulty power socket, or maybe a flaky ground to restrict current.

I don't have a 2018 wiring diagram, but I suspect the relay is in the under dash fuse box on the driver's side. Hopefully the fuse box cover or maybe the owner's manual has the relays labeled and you can try swapping the aux power relay with an identical one nearby.

This is the easiest test to rule out the relay. After that, you'll likely need a test light and dig into the console to test the power and ground to that aux power connector.
Hello,
Here I'm still trying to solve the problem. Both cig ports have the same issue now . I have spent months trying to find the main problem. I have more solid find. (I've replaced the cig ports, the relays, and tried a few converters to no improvement)
It has never occurred to me to measure the voltage of cig port while driving until recently. Here's what I found:

No load:
1. Turn on ignition 14.01v.
2.Shift to drive: 12.3v

-Draw 26w:
1. Turn on ignition: 13.9v (device charging)
2. Shift to drive/driving/stop at traffic light: 11.8 v ( usable voltage-device charging)
3. Going down hill fast: release gas pedal: 13.9v
4. Shift back to park: 13.9v

Draw 53w:
1. Turn on ignition 13.5v (device charging)
2. Shift to drive/driving: 8 v (unable to charge)
3. shift back to park: 8v ( no charging) . While in park, unplug load for ~10 sec: voltage comes back to 13.5v

I can't use any higher load than 53w. That will cause power cut off repeatedly.
I measured 50-65A at the fuse box under the hood so shouldn't there be enough power if I want to draw 120w?

Now I can draw ~53w max if the car is parked. Can I rule out replay, fuse, anything?

What changes/controls the power when I shift to drive? What should I check?
TIA