General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Accord Bogging?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 12:30 AM
Default Accord Bogging?

Hi guys, I hope no one minds me posting different threads about different problems with my car.

I am curious as to what could possibly be causing my car to "jerk" continously or maybe also known as "bogging"? Problem started a few weeks back. My CEL was on for "Primery o2 sensor". At the same time I was having issues with {High idle @ 2k and fluctuating} I fixed those things and got to buying a Denso Universal o2 sensor from Autozone ($65 I believe) Ever since then my CEL came off but my car has been bogging ever since. It got worse, it usually does it before or at 3k rpms and i have to shift to the next gear to make it go away then to the next.

Extra info:

>My maintenance requires light flashed 10 times every time i start the car.

>There was a spacer between the "map sensor" and the throttle body but my friend removed it and right after the CEL light came on for that, For now it is off because I reset the Ecu so time will tell if it comes back. Bogging still took place after he removed it.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:34 AM

What year, model, trim etc. is the car? You could always check the EGR ports, it's a good easy place to start for idle issues.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Peli
What year, model, trim etc. is the car? You could always check the EGR ports, it's a good easy place to start for idle issues.

Sorry about that, Its a 1998 Accord LX 5 Speed. 2.2L I believe.

What are the EGR ports? I an not having an idle issue anymore, just having the bogging issue. I have it set to idle at 750 now.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:15 AM

The thing that I am really wondering is if the the universal o2 sensor is causing the problem. Im thinking it turned the CEL by hooking it up but it isnt really working.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by jfidelh
Sorry about that, Its a 1998 Accord LX 5 Speed. 2.2L I believe.

What are the EGR ports? I an not having an idle issue anymore, just having the bogging issue. I have it set to idle at 750 now.
No problem, you should put it all in your signature that way people know right away what car you have and what to look for

Here's an EGR cleaning how-to video
P0401 Honda Accord, Cleaning EGR Passages - YouTube
It's just a good place to start for this type of thing, it's cheap and easy and could fix it right off the bat! If you're having issues around 1800rpms (pretty sure it's 1800) when the car is warmed up that's another symptom of clogged ports.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:23 AM

Done! ^__^

Okay now I am going to watch the video.

I was thinking of switching the secondary o2 sensor to the front and the primary to the back and seeing if that solved the issue. BUT then I saw that they are not the same? Would anyone happen to know if they are the same so I can just test it out?

Old 08-30-2011, 01:37 AM
Super Moderator

I always ask about the maintenance items like the distributor cap, distributor rotor, and the spark plugs. Are those items due for replacement? That information should be in your owner's manual.

The EGR port video is for a 94-97 accord. The 98 is not setup like those accords. There is one EGR port and is part of the lower intake manifold. It runs down the passenger side of the manifold. You would have to remove the upper part of the manifold to clean the EGR port.

Old 08-30-2011, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I always ask about the maintenance items like the distributor cap, distributor rotor, and the spark plugs. Are those items due for replacement? That information should be in your owner's manual.

The EGR port video is for a 94-97 accord. The 98 is not setup like those accords. There is one EGR port and is part of the lower intake manifold. It runs down the passenger side of the manifold. You would have to remove the upper part of the manifold to clean the EGR port.

I actually just got done cleaning all that out a few days ago. I cleaned the top part of the EGR (located on the cap) but just realized i didnt clean the bottom part (lower intake). Ill do that tomorrow. My motor is those Japanese imports and it still has the spark plugs they came with, for sure I have to replace those asap. I bought a distributor from the junkyard with 20,000 miles on it supposedly.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Peli
No problem, you should put it all in your signature that way people know right away what car you have and what to look for

Here's an EGR cleaning how-to video
P0401 Honda Accord, Cleaning EGR Passages - YouTube
It's just a good place to start for this type of thing, it's cheap and easy and could fix it right off the bat! If you're having issues around 1800rpms (pretty sure it's 1800) when the car is warmed up that's another symptom of clogged ports.
Now that you mention it! That is actually what fixed my idle! I took the manifold cover off and wondered why there was grime in that specific spot but after my idle was awesome! It would idle at 2k and now Its adjustable.

I have a 98 accord so my ports are different than the ones from the video. Just in case someone with a similar car as mine needs to know what area to clean heres a link.

'98 Honda Accord LX - egr error - Honda-Tech

Old 08-30-2011, 02:58 PM

But anyway, I just checked mine and nothing else was covering it, so leads back to my main question, Why is my Accord bogging out!!!! (((

Quick Reply: Accord Bogging?