General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Accord LX 2005 transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 08:31 PM
parsfalcon
Unregistered
Default Accord LX 2005 transmission problem

Hi Fellows;

I have a Honda Accord LX 2005 with only 20,000 miles on it. When I try to put it in fwd or rvrs gear, it kicks badly as if engine and transmission get engaged suddenly and the whole car shakes. The orange light with the shape of engin has turned on too. Has anyone experienced this problem? What was the root cause? How did you fix it? How much did it cost?

I had a Honda Accord 1986 with 205,000 miles on it and was still running great when I sold it. I'm surprised that this car with such low mileage has this problem all of a sudden.

You help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Kevin

Old 12-22-2008, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Accord LX 2005 transmission problem

Part of your description sounds like bad engine mounts. Check that out?

Take it to AutoZone or similar parts store to read the error code stored, since the check-engine lamp is on. Get the ACTUAL CODE NUMBER, not just the guys explanation.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:10 PM
parsfalcon
Unregistered

Hi Jim;

Thanks for your advice. I put an OBDII reader on it and it gaveme a "P0962: Pressure Control Solenoid A Control Circuit Low" message. Is this something that I can buy from the dealer and replace myself? What part should I buy? I called the dealer and the sales lady who sold the car to me told me the drivetrain should be covered up to 5yrs/50000miles but their service center refuses to fix it under warranty. I called North America Honda and they were not helpful either.

Your help greatly appreciated.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:35 PM
parsfalcon
Unregistered

one thing I forgot to mention is the green LED next to "D" in the instrument panel is flashing no metter what the gear is in, PARK, or "R", or "D". This sound like some electrical/electronic malfunction. Any idea what's going on?

Old 12-22-2008, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

Your car is still under warranty. I am surprised that Honda of America was not helpful. Call them again and have them find a dealership nearby that will honor their warranty.

Call your local dealership that refuses to honor the warranty and speak to the service manager. That is ridiculous that they will not fix the car. Threaten to report them to the Better Business Bureau.

The D light flashing means there is something wrong with the transmission. It is likely the same fault that the check engine light is indicating. That solenoid on the tranny controls shifting is causing your problem.

I would not spend $1 on fixing it until Honda takes care of the problem.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:18 AM
parsfalcon
Unregistered

Hi PAhonda;

Many thanks for your notes. The Honda dealer that I bought the car from said this car had 3 years/36000 miles warranty and they don't cover this problem although I only got 24000 miles on it! I bought it in July 2005 brand new but the car hasn't been used much.

I'll take it to local dealer tomorrow and see what they'd do. I'm not sure where the Pressure Control solenoid is located, if it's inside the transmission or its pan, I don't have the right tools to fix it myselfbut if it's outside, maybe I can give it a shot. Do you happento know where this solenoid is?

Thanks again.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator

Its is outside of the tranny. I would check that the connection to the solenoid is clean and secure.

The valve is #4 in the picture below as long as you have a 4-cylinder engine. You can go to www.hondapartsdeals.com to find the part that you need for your car and buy it online.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5767/6273F2C5A45440BEB3C4B8AD0C0E3638.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-23-2008, 12:56 AM
parsfalcon
Unregistered

many thanks PAhonda. I'll check it before taking it to Honda dealer. You're very helpful and I really appreciate it.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:36 AM
parsfalcon
Unregistered

PAhonda;

You are good! I took the flash light and went and checked what you pointed me to and you're right! the 2 wires connected to this sensor from the wiring harness are broken as if someone cut them with a wire cutter! My guess is probably the engine mount is broken and when I breaked, the engine moved forward and pull on the wires and broke them off! The sensor should be fine and I hope the dealer can fix the wiring harness. I will keep you posted. Many thanks again.

parsfalcon

Old 12-26-2008, 06:20 PM
Super Moderator

Along with fixing the wires, check the engine mounts. Grab the valve cover & try to shake the engine. Should NOT be any klunking or excessive movement.

Quick Reply: Accord LX 2005 transmission problem