General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Air Filters - quick question

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 04:58 PM
Default Air Filters - quick question

Up until now, I've been using the high end Fram air filters. My 98 Accord has been running fine with them. However, it has 142k miles on it and it's about to become my daily commuter car. I want to really make sure I get the best performance out of it now because it has to last to 200k while I pay off the new Odyssey.

I've seen K&N air filters and was going to switch to those. However, the local auto parts store said those are designed for high performance cars and that my Accord (for normal everyday driving) wouldn't see much benefit. The clerk recommend Hayes or Wicks air filters and said my car would benefit more from them.

So, if my goal is to ensure quality performance of Accord long term, which air filters do you recommend and why?

Old 02-21-2006, 06:38 PM
Default RE: Air Filters - quick question

K&N over any other filter. They have a 1 million mile warranty and they make high quality products. Disregard what the gentleman from the auto store told you. A K&N filter will help your car and you will never have to replace it again.

Old 02-21-2006, 06:56 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

yea i love the display at my local checker. you have two different filters ones a fram and the other one is a k and n. there is a wind tunnel where the suction comes from the filter opening and there is a ping pong ball in the tube which is able to rise with the wind......well with the fram in there the ping pong ball doesnt rise at all and then when you put the k and n in there it goes straight to the top.

Old 02-21-2006, 07:33 PM

^+1

They do a lot of research and development on their products. They are a trustworthy brand!

Old 02-21-2006, 09:48 PM

I would like to add a K&N filter in my car as well. However after checking I noticed that they did not have such a product for the 06's yet. Still waiting though.

Old 02-22-2006, 06:03 PM

Don't let your local parts man dupe you. K&N is top of the line in the intake and filter world, just like AEM as a matter of fact AEM CAI came w/ K&N's for most of their existence.

Old 02-22-2006, 08:11 PM

I looked at K&N's site. They stated that you can use the filter for 1million miles with just regular wash and re-oil's. Does anyone do that? Or do you just buy a new filter?

Because the filter let's more air flow thru, is there more maintenance of the filter required?

Old 02-22-2006, 08:38 PM

i have a little k and n maintenance kit it comes with a spray cleaner and the filter oil. what they mean by a million miles is that the filter will last INdefinately...and yea once you get one......you never get another

Old 02-25-2006, 09:20 PM

OK, I'm all set to go get my K&N filter.

However, I do have one question: can a car have to much air flow thru the filter? I assume that's a no since the throttle would actually control how much air goes into the combustion chamber, right?

For high flow filters like the K&N, does the filter itself trap less dirt and therefore that is the reason it needs to be oiled?

How do you clean an oiled filter?

Old 02-25-2006, 09:33 PM

you can never flow too much air. sometimes the computer needs to be retuned to perform optimally.. to clean the filter just wash it in WARM soapy/mild detergent water let it air dry, and then use the special k and n filter oil and spray it on.... and i mean lightly. the tiniest bit goes a long way.

Quick Reply: Air Filters - quick question