General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Airbag light issue '03 EX-L

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2021, 05:22 PM
Default Airbag light issue '03 EX-L

Hey all! This is probably something that'll need to be addressed by the dealership, but just wanted to get some opinions on it.

My airbag light came on the other day, so because of that mass recall I checked my VIN and it was listed as one that was included (it was for the PAB.) I took it to the dealership to get it fixed, but they said that it wasn't one of the Takata's so it didn't need to get replaced (still a little confused about that one.) Anyways, about 10 minutes after driving the airbag light came back on.

After digging a little bit, I found many say that a good test is to buckle up before starting the car. When I did that, the airbag light turned off and the side airbag off light turned on for a few seconds. After the side airbag off light went away, the regular airbag light came back on and stayed on. I also buckled up after starting the car and the regular airbag light just stayed on; nothing with the side airbag off light.

If I recall correctly, there was a TSB for the driver side seatbelt sensor as well as a TSB for the OPDS, but didn't find anyone who also had this "combo." Was this just bad luck or is there some sort of "correlation" between the two?

Old 05-14-2021, 05:32 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Have you checked the codes to see what is actually making the light come on. If not I would do that first and then start troubleshooting. Right now you're shooting in the dark without a code.

Old 05-15-2021, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Seanjordan20
Have you checked the codes to see what is actually making the light come on. If not I would do that first and then start troubleshooting. Right now you're shooting in the dark without a code.
Ahhhh, I see. My current scanner doesn't scan SRS but just ordered a new one. I'll report back when I get it on Monday, Thanks for the reply!

Old 05-18-2021, 06:37 PM

I just checked and I got two codes:
  • 54-50: Internal failure of SRS
  • 11-80: Short to power in driver side first inflator
Based on my Googling, it looks like it could be a seatbelt sensor issue which, IIRC, is a life-time warranty part?

Old 07-11-2021, 08:01 PM
Default Possible Solution

I couple years back I had a similar issue with my 2006 Accord. After three trips to the dealer and $1k+ in "attemped" solutions, a tech happened to be moving the seat and the issue went away. It ended up being a lead/wire under the driver's seat that had corroded. Once replaced the issue vanished! Good luck, I hope you are able to find resolution!

Old 11-02-2021, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by kdadman
I couple years back I had a similar issue with my 2006 Accord. After three trips to the dealer and $1k+ in "attemped" solutions, a tech happened to be moving the seat and the issue went away. It ended up being a lead/wire under the driver's seat that had corroded. Once replaced the issue vanished! Good luck, I hope you are able to find resolution!
Sorry for the (very) delayed response! Ended up being a very dirty switch. Just did a deep clean with rubbing alcohol.