General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Airbag Light (red-not SRS)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 02:16 PM
Default Airbag Light (red-not SRS)

08 Accord EX-L, 4 cyl, sedan, 158k miles/runs well. Had the red airbag light come on. Searched high & low on the internet to realize there is no "flash" code read for this, and no affordable scanner that would read this code. So I reluctantly bring it to the $tealership and pay $97 to have the code read. They tell me it is a communication error, there are no codes and Honda says to replace the SRS unit (brainbox) and if that does not fix it the gauge cluster will need replacement. They quote $350 for SRS unit replacement and $1500 more if gauge cluster is needed. So I leave $tealership $97 lighter in the pocket and annoying light still on. I find an outfit out of Texas that gets OEM Honda parts, & they want $185 for the unit, in my mailbox vs. $258 from $tealership. Find out Honda changed the part # on this and its more $$ than it was 2 years ago. Look at the 2 parts, the new one is totally different software #, leads me to believe Honda knew of probs with this part. Possible TSB, didn't check. And the parts place sold a butt ton of these. Did it myself, it was kind of easy, light out success story. Long story short, if your airbag light comes on (and seat belt indicator stops working) it will likely cost ~$285 to restore the system. Hope this helps someone...