General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Alloy wheel paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 04:49 AM
Default Alloy wheel paint

Hi guys
I've got a 2009 Accord EX and i've scratched my alloy wheels. Im going to have a go at fixing it myself, problem is i don't know where to get a can of the finishing paint to match the aluminum. Does anyone have a link or a phone number.
Thanks
DS

Last edited by dscoll; 10-17-2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

First, welcome and thank you for joining......

Not sure on the paint as I have never done that....

Old 10-17-2011, 10:48 PM

If it's just a surface scratch, I'd look for some silver touch up paint. This method might not give you a perfect look, but assuming the scratch is small it should be able to be filled without being too noticeable. I have seen chrome touch up pens for $15-20 at various auto supply stores.

If it's a deep scratch, as in you went up on a curb and bent or took a chunk out of the wheel, get some Bondo and fill it like you would a dent/hole, sand it down, clean the wheels as best you can and then use a silver/chrome spray paint on them. You might not be able to get a perfect match, in which case I would just do them all so they match. I know a Rustoleum makes a silver wheel paint and it's not horribly expensive, about $6.50 a can at AutoZone. Once you've done that I'd recommend using a clear laquer to top it off and give it a nice finish. You could buff it if you so desire, assuming your wheels have decent flat surfaces. This is the method I would personally take. If you don't think the paint will match the current color/shine of the other wheels, get a few cans of both paint and laquer to do all the wheels.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:17 AM

Peli
Thanks for the advice.
It's a big scratch/gauge 1ft long 2mm deep.
I know the repair procedure, what i don't know is how to get an exact paint match. I phoned Rustoleum but they don't do car paints? Im in the UK, maybe it's a different company setup over here.
I also checked with Planet Polish for the following product:
Alloy Wheel Repair Honda Accord Civic Integra Jazz CR-V | eBay
but they said it was not suitable for non painted wheels.
Anyway, I would prefer a spray, not a brush.
Apparently the wheel is electroplated aluminum.
Any advice appreciated.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dscoll
Hi guys
I've got a 2009 Accord EX and i've scratched my alloy wheels. Im going to have a go at fixing it myself, problem is i don't know where to get a can of the finishing paint to match the aluminum. Does anyone have a link or a phone number.
Thanks
DS
Honda Blade Silver Metallic, Part Number 08703-NH95MAH-PN is the closest to the 2009 Accord OEM alloy wheel paint color.

You can buy this Preval spray gun to use with the touch-up paint container.

"http://www.brandsport.com/prvl-267.html"

There are non-Honda paint suppliers too that sell entire aerosol cans.

An option is just have a wheel repair place fix it.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

There is the Permatex Wheel Restoration Kit. Some auto parts stores carry it. I tried it before, the filler dries a little too fast IMHO, and not quite as workable as what some fillers professional wheel repair shops use. Additionally, it takes a lot of effort to sand the filler smooth, as it dries rock hard and you need other grades of sandpaper too, not just what comes in the kit.

"http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-09142-Wheel-Restoration-Kit/dp/B001V3OJBQ"

IMHO, the kit is okay; but, may take more patience and effort to get that real smooth finish before spraying paint. Also the paint that comes with the kit does not really match the Honda wheel color.

In the end, on my car, I just bought a new OEM wheel as my car was pretty new when it happened and I didn't want to drive on the spare wheel while I had the damaged wheel repaired.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Just read your other post that you are in the UK. I'm not sure if the Accord wheel color in the UK would be the same as in the U.S.

If it is the same color, this may be something that may work for you:

"http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_15 6235_langId_-1_categoryId_165505"

Last edited by redbull-1; 10-18-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
There is the Permatex Wheel Restoration Kit. Some auto parts stores carry it. I tried it before, the filler dries a little too fast IMHO, and not quite as workable as what some fillers professional wheel repair shops use. Additionally, it takes a lot of effort to sand the filler smooth, as it dries rock hard and you need other grades of sandpaper too, not just what comes in the kit.

"http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-09142-Wheel-Restoration-Kit/dp/B001V3OJBQ"

IMHO, the kit is okay; but, may take more patience and effort to get that real smooth finish before spraying paint. Also the paint that comes with the kit does not really match the Honda wheel color.

In the end, on my car, I just bought a new OEM wheel as my car was pretty new when it happened and I didn't want to drive on the spare wheel while I had the damaged wheel repaired.
Redbull-1 Your memtion of the "spare wheel" is not good. My car does not have a spare wheel (i didn't believe it either) , so the colour could also be different. I've looked at the various kit's and i don't think it's the best approach. Thanks anyway.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:31 AM

Honda Blade Silver Metallic, Part Number 08703-NH95MAH-PN is the closest to the 2009 Accord OEM alloy wheel paint color.

You can buy this Preval spray gun to use with the touch-up paint container.

"http://www.brandsport.com/prvl-267.html"

There are non-Honda paint suppliers too that sell entire aerosol cans.

An option is just have a wheel repair place fix it.
Thanks for the part number, where did you get it from? The reason i ask is that my wheels are not painted, so there is no paint part number. I will investigate this further.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:36 AM

Just read your other post that you are in the UK. I'm not sure if the Accord wheel color in the UK would be the same as in the U.S.

If it is the same color, this may be something that may work for you:

"http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_15 6235_langId_-1_categoryId_165505"
The link doesn't work for me. I get "Generic error", i've tried several times. The Halfords site works and its Halfords.com not Halfords.co.uk but maybe there's something else wrong. I tried putting "catalogId_10151" and "productId_156235" into the halfords search box but i got 1000's of hits. Can you please tell me exactly what you enetered into the Halfords search box. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Alloy wheel paint