General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Already changed starter... Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 11:38 AM
Default Already changed starter... Now what?

I I'm having the same issues. We replaced the starter in early March 2019 and still experience intermittent issues with no start. We were doing several things to get the car started such as pulling off the positive battery terminal for it to start. also putting the key in the lock outside the door and turning it to unlock lock unlock lock so on and so forth. We would get in the car and it would start. Well, I've had it at 2 Honda dealers now. One said it was the positive battery cable was bad. That was replaced and it was still having issues. So the next Honda dealer had it and it wouldn't NOT start for them so they could not diagnose it. They had it for 4 days. So, the other day it would not start for me. I had it in the number two position. I called the Honda dealer that had last worked on it and spoke with the mechanic. Suddenly, all the lights and bells and radio came on! So he asked me to start it and it did!. So he said it was either the ignition, ignition relay, or a short in a wire somewhere, IF he had to guess. I also have to say that the car has an automatic start installed but it was installed by a certified Honda dealer. It was actually the dealer that had last looked at the vehicle. Has anyone had any of these issues before? Can anyone help me, please? Also is there a diagram of the fuse box underneath the hood where I can change the ignition relay. I'm not sure exactly which want it is. There are three of the same size there. Thank you so much hope to hear from someone soon!

Old 07-27-2019, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

I moved your post to a new thread, because 2 problems in one thread is confusing.

Please provide us your vehicle's information, like 05 accord ex v6 manual transmission, etc.

There are 2 no-start conditions. One is called no-crank no-start, where the starter does nothing when you turn the key. The other is crank no-start, where the starter cranks the engine, but your engine will not run on its own.

Do you have a no-crank no-start, or a crank no-start?

Old 07-27-2019, 12:39 PM

Hello, thanks for responding and sorry about the confusion
I have a 2007 Honda Accord, V6 EX, automatic
It is a no crank, no start. Nothing on the dash we'll come on nor will the radio. The lights work and the bell indicating that the key is in the ignition, dings.
Originally, we thought it was a security issue because it seemed that the only time the car would start is when I locked and unlocked it from the key fob. When it first started happening, the only time it would start is when the key fob actually beeped when the car was locked. Then, we had to unhook the positive battery cable for it to reset maybe?. As the issue grew worse, we would put the key in the lock outside the driver's door. We would lock unlock lock and unlock it again and miraculously, it would start. like I said in the original post, I had it at two different dealers. we actually just got in the car about 20 minutes ago and it did not want to start again. My boyfriend tapped on the relays in the fuse box while the key was in the number two position. Then he shut the hood. After he shut the hood, all the bells sounded and lights came on! This is getting to be so weird. I hope someone can help me ☺️

Last edited by rdusek; 07-28-2019 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:43 PM
Default Exactly where is the ignition relay in a 2007 Accord

Does anyone know the exact location of the ignition relay in a 2007 Honda Accord v6, automatic? There are three different ones located in the fuse box under the hood. They aren't labeled specifically for those three relays. I've been looking online, I have found a diagram of my exact fuse box but it doesn't specify which is the ignition relay. Thanks

Old 07-27-2019, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

EDIT: I merged your previous thread into this thread. Keeping your issues in one thread makes it easier to help you solve the problem.

#18 is the starter cut relay. That will send power to the starter when you turn the key to the start position. #19 is the accessory socket relay, so you could just switch 18 with 19 to see if you get the starter to work, and your accessory sockets to not work.

From your description, the starter circuit may not be the problem. Try to find the auto-start accessory that was installed on your car, because a faulty autostart can cause strange problems with your vehicle. You should be able to look under the driver's dash for wiring that is not neatly wrapped that would lead to a control box. See if you can find a sticker on the control box with a part number.

03 07 fuse box

Last edited by PAhonda; 07-27-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 01:09 PM
Default We will try this

Thanks, we will try this, I will let you know ☺️

Old 07-27-2019, 01:53 PM
Default Pulling #19 relay...

What if I just take out the #19 relay? I'm assuming this is for the automatic start, correct? Will it just disable the automatic start? I don't want to use it anymore anyway. I've heard they are too hard on starters anyway. Just wondering if it has to be in there for my car to run.

Old 07-27-2019, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

#19 is for the power sockets inside the car where you would plug in a cell phone charger or old-school cigarette lighter.

The automatic start isn't hard on the starter, it can mess up the ignition system if the control unit fails. Depending on the installation, the remote starter splices into wires used by your ignition system to essentially bypass the key, so your remote can start the vehicle. If you get the product number, there may be a simple way to disable that system.

Old 07-28-2019, 01:27 PM
Default Picture of fuse box and video of problem

This is the fuse box on my 2007 Honda Accord. Where is the exact location of the starter or ignition relay? Video is in the wrong format, will post soon

Old 07-28-2019, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

Wrong fuse box. The picture I posted is the fuse box inside the car under the driver's side dash.

Quick Reply: Already changed starter... Now what?