General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Already changed starter... Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 09:12 PM

@PAHonda, so, there is another fuse box under the drivers' dash? This picture is on the side by the hood latch.... Is this the one? I don't see a spot for the relay. I am relaying all this info to my boyfriend, I really thank you for all your help too!

Old 07-28-2019, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure the relays are above those fuses. You may have to remove that plastic panel around the fuse box to access. Take a look in your owner's manual to see if it will provide you more information.

Old 07-28-2019, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator

The kick panel has to be removed to access those relays.

This link has the pdf service manual showing the driver's door sill trim removed first, then the kick panel.

https://cardiagn.com/2003-07-honda-a...repair-manual/

Old 07-28-2019, 10:08 PM

Thanks, he will be working on this tomorrow. This has truly been a headache for the last few months. I pray it fixes it because it has been to two Honda dealers and they couldn't diagnose it. I made a video of when it wouldn't start but it is the wrong format and I do not know how to change it.

Old 07-28-2019, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

I was just reading your original post, the no-start issue can possibly be due to the Main Relay 2 (fuel pump relay) or even Main Relay 1. Main Relay 2 works in conjunction with Main Relay 1; that is, Main Relay 2 relies on a functioning Main Relay 1.

See this service bulletin regarding an issue with the Main Relay 2 on earlier model year 2005.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
A07-020.pdf (322.5 KB, 261 views)
Old 07-28-2019, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Old 08-05-2019, 08:47 AM
Default Update....

Okay, so, #18 was changed. The next day, I drove my car to work, no problems whatsoever. Im getting ready to leave work and the car won't start! It was cranking but no start...WEIRD!? I'm so frustrated at this point that I kicked under the steering wheel and I had left the key in the number two position....and all my lights turn on and the bells start singing! Hmmmm, so I tried to start it and BOOM! IT STARTED?! WHAT THE HECK?! My boyfriend had the same problem the next day, twice. He did the same thing and it started! We are figuring it is a loose wire or ground under the steering wheel?Any thoughts?

Old 08-05-2019, 08:49 AM

Should we change the ignition relay or any other relays? Or do you think it is a short or faulty wire?

Old 08-05-2019, 02:12 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by rdusek
Okay, so, #18 was changed. The next day, I drove my car to work, no problems whatsoever. Im getting ready to leave work and the car won't start! It was cranking but no start...WEIRD!? I'm so frustrated at this point that I kicked under the steering wheel and I had left the key in the number two position....and all my lights turn on and the bells start singing! Hmmmm, so I tried to start it and BOOM! IT STARTED?! WHAT THE HECK?! My boyfriend had the same problem the next day, twice. He did the same thing and it started! We are figuring it is a loose wire or ground under the steering wheel?Any thoughts?
Sounds like it to me. Either that or a broken wire just making contact at times.

Old 08-08-2019, 06:09 AM
Newest Of Newbies

This may be caused by a number of things, but commonly this is a result of a faulty connection at the battery or in many cases, a faulty starter relay. The starter relay directs power from the battery to the starter solenoid which then engages the starter when you turn the key. Do you have to wiggle the key to get it to start? When the starter relay is not working properly, you may notice intermittent starting problems including no response when turning the key to start. Generally, when this does fail, it does so very randomly and usually without warning other than intermittent starting. The power from the battery will still power other accessories such as radio, horn, etc., but you may not have any power to the starter.

In some cases, this may be related a bad neutral safety switch. This may be why you can kick under the steering wheel and suddenly evrything works. Either that or you have a bad ignition switch.

Last edited by Casper Young; 08-08-2019 at 06:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Already changed starter... Now what?