General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Automatic Tranny fluid change.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 10:34 AM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Automatic Tranny fluid change.

Good day all,

Bought a 97 Accord, 4cyl, AT, 154K milesa few months ago. Drained the transmission fluid and replaced with 3 qts of Honda fluid.

The fluid I drained was pretty dark, and the magnetic plug was coated with a thick layer of sludge.

My question is does the drain plug on the pan remove all the fluid? Due to the condition of the old fluid, not sure if I should do another drain and add of 3 qts or if I am good to go.

It was not hard to drain, and the fluid cost about 21.00 for the 3 qts.

Any thoughts?

JM

Old 10-01-2008, 10:36 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Automatic Tranny fluid change.

We generally recommend draining the tranny 3x with driving in between changes and leaving the last 3 qts. in there. The reason being that the torque converter doesn't drain all the way. So that would be 9 quarts total.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:14 AM

We generally recommend draining the tranny 3x with driving in between changes and leaving the last 3 qts. in there. The reason being that the torque converter doesn't drain all the way. So that would be 9 quarts total.
^^^ what do u recommend doin on a man trans?

Old 10-01-2008, 11:17 AM

ORIGINAL: jcocker03

^^^ what do u recommend doin on a man trans?
Draining it and filling it with 2.5 qts. of Honda MTF. It's just like an oil change.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:59 PM

MT has no torque converter to hang onto 2/3's of the fluid.

Old 10-01-2008, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

For JerryM...
If the fluid still drains out dark after 3 times, consider doing it a few more times. Thatsnot normally necessary, but you DID say it was pretty bad looking.

Its a process of diluting the bad fluid with new, so theoretically you never getEVERY last BIT. Keep going until youre happy with how clean it is.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:22 PM

I used Honda ATF in the first 80k miles. I switched from Honda ATF and been using Valvoline high mileage ATF and has not had any issue. Before doing so, I checked with a local mechanic and he did not opposed to the brand switch.

I just changed my ATF this Monday and added half a bottle of Lucas ATF (about 12 oz) with Valvoline high mileage ATF. Of course there were some metal shavingson the magnetic plug. The color wasnot dark butreddish tolight brown.About 4 quarts were drained out of the tranny. The car has 276k miles and tranny was first changed at 20k miles and then every 30k miles.

**I am not a car expert or a mechanic, I am just sharing what I did to my own car.**

Old 10-02-2008, 11:23 AM

Draining it and filling it with 2.5 qts. of Honda MTF. It's just like an oil change.
cool, then im good to go... i just blew my trans last month and replaced witha junkyard trans, it must have been low mileage/well maintainedcuz thers no sludge build up and the fluid in it looked brand new

Old 10-02-2008, 01:27 PM

or they cleaned it out so you'd think so.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:10 AM

Use Mobil Synthetic ATF - its the BEST! It will not thicken in extremely cold temperatures providing continuous smooth shifting (no slippage). Have used it ever since I noticed the cold weather initail slippage in my previous old 1984 Toyota Celica GT.

The "sludge" on the drain plug is the attracted metal particles from the internal wear of the transmission. I have changed my fluid many times over the last 14 years and that amount has always seemed to decrease. I own a Honda 94 Accord EX Sedan with currently 153000 miles on itl.

Michael

Quick Reply: Automatic Tranny fluid change.