General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Average rotor life

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
There is a third way of warping rotors; incorrectly torquing the lug nuts/bolts.
true, i would think this is the least common but definitely possible

but not really from uneven as much as having a noob tech using an impact gun on the lug nuts

Old 07-01-2018, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by holmesnmanny
true, i would think this is the least common but definitely possible

but not really from uneven as much as having a noob tech using an impact gun on the lug nuts
Oddly enough, I've been wrenching on cars for over 40 years, and over tightened lug nut/bolts is only one of the causes of warped rotors I have ever actually seen, and by far the most common. The other cause I've seen are from cheap Chinese rotors.

Old 07-01-2018, 05:24 PM

Oddly enough, I've been wrenching on cars for over 40 years, and over tightened lug nut/bolts is only one of the causes of warped rotors I have ever actually seen, and by far the most common. The other cause I've seen are from cheap Chinese rotors.
and how would you prove that overtightening was the sole cause of warped rotors versus one of the other two reasons ?

on all used hondas I've purchased the only lateral run out I've found has been on the right side of the vehicle, so the front right and the rear right which would coincide with people having hit curbs, causing the bending of the hub

Last edited by holmesnmanny; 07-01-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:27 PM

Hey everyone thanks for the responses. I'm not a mechanic and therefore, I can't check some of the things mentioned-I'd have to take it back to the dealer that resurfaced the rotors and then I doubt they'd be honest with me if the original work was subpar. I could just ask them to look at it and tell me what they think is wrong and if they say it's the rotors then I could ask them why their resurfacing was short lived. What do you think? How would you handle this?

Old 07-01-2018, 11:20 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by crazydiamond23
I'd have to take it back to the dealer that resurfaced the rotors and then I doubt they'd be honest with me if the original work was subpar. ... What do you think? How would you handle this?

If it's within the normal 'dealer' workmanship guarantee period (one year?), then take it back. At the first sign of incoming BS, I'd own up to more bucks and have someone else put in new rotors - and don't have that 'dealer' turn them again. Was it really an actual Honda dealer?

Old 07-02-2018, 01:12 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The other cause I've seen are from cheap Chinese rotors.

This IS becoming far too common these days. And not just in Hondas, but also Toyotas, and GMs. Same applies with bearings and other parts like that. Finding quality parts is becoming harder every day.

Old 07-04-2018, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by crazydiamond23
Hey everyone thanks for the responses. I'm not a mechanic and therefore, I can't check some of the things mentioned-I'd have to take it back to the dealer that resurfaced the rotors and then I doubt they'd be honest with me if the original work was subpar. I could just ask them to look at it and tell me what they think is wrong and if they say it's the rotors then I could ask them why their resurfacing was short lived. What do you think? How would you handle this?
I don't use the dealer except for recalls and tsb's. It's going to cost you more.

What you can do is go on yelp and try to find a dedicated Honda shop. Then call them and tell them you have atleast one bent hub and ask if they know how to do a lateral run out test using a dial indicator to find which hub is bad by testing all rotors after torquing down the lug nuts. If they do not know how to do it then just keep calling around til you find one that does.

I don't know specifically which model you have so I don't know if you have rear disks which would make it 4 hubs that need to be checked instead of just the front 2.

Any hub that has .001th or more of lateral run out needs to have the hub replaced. It's likely only going to be one hub but have them check all hubs that have rotors. If the rear have drums then you don't need to check those.

Considering how bad yours appears to be it's likely going to have atleast .003th of an inch of run out. It's likely going to be the front right side.

Last edited by holmesnmanny; 07-04-2018 at 12:43 AM.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Rotors and brake pads

Iam surprised the dealer suggested turning rotors. On todays cars rotors are replaced due to thinner tolerances. Buy good quality rotors and ceramic pads call it a day..

Old 07-06-2018, 02:04 PM

TURBOFRANK what are "good quality" rotors? Is there a particular make or brand you would suggest?
HOLMESMANNY unfortunately in my area there are no other options listed on Yelp except one and I've used them once before with less than stellar results. It's a 2010 Accord but I can't tell if it's an EX, LX or whatever.
UHOH no it was the local Acura dealer. Local Honda dealer has a terrible service dept so I went to the Acura dealer for the rotor work. They have been more reliable about keeping scheduled appointments and getting the work done. Local Honda dealer has left us hanging for over 3 hours with a scheduled app at 2 pm before they told us at 5 pm they couldn't "work" it in that day) Thoroughly disgusted with that so no longer take it to the Honda dealer in town

Wondering what everyone here thinks if the Acura dealer that turned the rotors before tells me that they can turn them again. Doesn't seem logical to do that again when this last time lasted about 15,000 miles

Old 07-06-2018, 06:55 PM
Super Moderator

The braking system on Hondas is not unique, so any shop with a good mechanic would be good for brake/rotor issues.

Some of the checks are pretty basic and can be a DIY project. With some basic tools, you can remove the caliper and check if the brake pads are stuck. You can also check for excessive wear on one of the brake pads.

Quick Reply: Average rotor life