General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

beautifully clean 87 dx manual fuel pump problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 02:14 PM
Default RE: beautifuly clean 87 dx manual fuel pump problem

oh and is it true that my fuel pump my keep running if it does not feel preusure???? i had pressure and that why it stopped ... but i wated to check with you all beacause i was told that it was good that it was clogged for now ... cuz if it wasnt my fuel pump would continue to pump untill it felt the presure? or utill it burned out...

Old 03-06-2007, 02:47 PM

Desert: I can't edit posts or manage in the DIY section at all, I think only you can....

The plugged line theory is why I said pull the line at the fuel pump and see if it pumps, then reconnect it and check it at the firewall again, if it's not working at the firewall then you've got a plugged line for sure and not a bad fuel pump, if it's not cold enough out to freeze any water that was possibly in the line then you can try blowing out the line with an air compressor, if you suspect a frozen line use a small funnel and pour a little beat of heat (fuel treatment) stuff down the line and let it sit for an hour or two then blow it out with an aircompressor.... when the fuel pump kicks on it will run until the line is pressurized, if you've got the line off it's just going to keep pumping until you turn the key off.... the other fuel filter (as long as it's installed properly) should be fine...

Old 03-06-2007, 03:02 PM

well this blows... all 5 batterys i took in to see if any of them could even hold a charge....all but oneare bad... and apparently i broke the only good one.... so this maybe comin sense to everone else... but to thoughs who dont know.....be careful with you car's battery( side post batterys ) if you tighten them down too much you will snap the inner connection with the wired bolt peice.... so make sure it's not lose but do not tighten it too much.... or you'll have to buy another new battery like me... will be on often to check my other questions but will up date you on the car wen i get paid and get a NEW battery

Old 03-07-2007, 01:48 PM

ok so i have been told to wait on presurizing that hose untill i do a stupid's check list... like make sure the filter wast replaced in back wards(sese it only allows one way passage)... but just icase im borrowing an air compressor today... as well as getting a ew battery today so.... up-dates soon.... ty so much for your help guys...reposting soon

Old 03-08-2007, 01:42 PM

got good news... no clogged line so,i gess, im back at square 1.... still waiting for the funds ona new battery....

Old 03-11-2007, 03:04 AM

Ok guys I ran the test the pump is still good and it is running up untill I try it with the key
on.... I tested it with a battery so I know it pumps but I cant find a relay to it and all fueses
are good... Any ideas?

i thikn i just found the relay ... but im not sure is it on the back side ofthe fuse box???

Old 03-11-2007, 03:41 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

yes it is...... it is located on the back side of the fuse box..

Old 03-11-2007, 04:46 AM

i can't seem to locate that exact part.. am i gonna have to get that from the factory? or will any type of relaywork?

Old 03-11-2007, 03:36 PM

ok so i tracked dow... 3 differet electric relays for my car.... but none are spasific to the fuel pump (exept the emer. fuel shut off ) which i found ad then arelay next to it (on back ofthe fuse box)... are they both for the fuel pump??? or does that relay controle more then just the fuel pump????

Old 03-11-2007, 06:17 PM

ok i think i found the relay for it but im ot sure if it's bad.... i used a ohm reader to check the current in itand everycomponation was bad(on the 3 progs) i only got an unpowered connection on the open ground in the middle and left prong....

is this the right relay? if so was it tested correctly to see if it's bad??

picture 1 side shot with i.d. numbers

picture 2 prong side

Quick Reply: beautifully clean 87 dx manual fuel pump problem