General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

beautifully clean 87 dx manual fuel pump problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 04:47 PM
Default RE: beautifuly clean 87 dx manual fuel pump problem

?

Old 03-22-2007, 08:31 PM

would a bad alternator effect my cars abillity to pump fuel???? been through every possable test... and im about to just sell it...

Old 03-22-2007, 09:49 PM

This sounds frighteningly like the EXACT same problem I just had with my 81 civic..... for starters find out which of those 4 prongs on the fuel cutoff you need to jumper to bypass it, I think mine only had 3 prongs (and looked identical to yours) and I had to jumper the outside pair, once you've done that it eliminates the stupid relay that gave me a ton of headaches, now see if the pump pumps, remove the fuel line and check for pressure/fuel coming out that way you have a for sure certain test.... if you need to know which relays to jumper then get a few paper clips, put one in each slot and take a pair of insulated pliars or a lead wire from a volt meter works too, turn the key to the on position, and see which combination of touching the two prongs (paper clips at this point) works, remove the others and connect the two paper clips that need connected to bypass that cutoff, now make sure that each time you turn the key to the on position the pump supplies fuel, if it does hook the fuel line back up and try to start it.... The really stupid part about all of this is that I took off the distributor cap and cleaned the contacts, then cleaned the rotor (even though I was getting spark) and it all started to work.... This is scary dejavue...

Old 03-22-2007, 09:51 PM

and forget the alternator that's not your issue at this point.... if the battery is weak it will cause you problems though.... the fuel pump should pump/pressurize when the key is on the on position whether the car is running or not once the lines pressurize you won't hear it kick on until you try to start/run the car, that's why I advise removing the fuel line from the carb so you have a visual representation of fuel pumping or not....

My car wouldn't pump when I turned the car over, then I'd stop trying to turn it over and it'd spit out a little bit of fuel but nothing in the on position....

Old 03-22-2007, 09:55 PM

here's the post I made after solving/fighting this issue.... I bet the symptoms will sound all to familiar....

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/Can...m_42346/tm.htm

Old 03-22-2007, 11:24 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Ok Hat we are going to do some basic diagnostic........( NOT GETTING FUEL )
I am going to ask some questions .

# 1 car has planty of fuel in tank ?? YES ........No fill it up ..
# 2 ,in dash fuse box fuse # 1 ,15 amp is ok, ?? YES,,
, NO replace fuse and retry
# 3 remove the connector at fuel pump.. chk for power at yellow wire and ground at black wire both have to be available when cranking the engine as if you are starting the car .......you got both power and ground ?? YES ,
,NO,, tell us which one is not available and we can go from there .. If power and ground.
# 4 remove the fuel hose coming from tank to fuel filter, get a can, put hose in can so you do not have fuel all over , have someone crank the engine ,,
is fuel available . ?? YES ..
NO,, If no fuel, remove the fuel pump, could be a bad pump, gas tank baffle broken and restricting fuel flow , plugged sock at fuel pump .remove the fuel pump and visually take a look at it and also look inside the tank for anything unusual .....
If fuel flow,, reconnect that hose,,,,,,,, remove the hose at filter going to the fuel supply tube to carb . have someone crank the engine.. is there fuel flow ?? YES ..
. NO.. totally plugged up main fuel filter at tank
if fuel flow going to pipe, reconnect hose to piping.. disconnect inlet fuel hose that goes into the underhood fuel filter, have someone crank the engine any fuel flow ?? YES ..
NO. if no fuel flow there is a blockage in the piping from tank filter to underhood filter.
if there was fuel.. reconnect the inlet hose,, disconnect the oulet hose going into carb,,
have someone crank the engine, is there fuel flow ?? YES
NO,, totally plugged up underhood fuel filter .

Again if either power or ground is lacking at fuel pump connector,stop right there and let us know . could be wiring issues or fuse box itself ,,
if you follow these step by step i guarantee you will diagnose the problem

Old 03-25-2007, 03:17 PM

ty guys so much im so freakin happy to have found this site.... TO SIR NASTY... my friend cam over and jumped the relay for me... and the pump ran... like it wasn't pumpimg fuel but it was on..... now if i took a 9-volt battery and put it on the line i can push fuel up to the engen..... so i kow it's not the pump.....BUT i am going to go clean the distributer cap now and see what happens.......
TO DESERTHONDA..... i have printed your dio... and will run these test and be right back to post the findings.....

thank you guys a million

Old 03-25-2007, 03:24 PM

ok all your test clear out.(desert honda)... i can push thru with the 9 volt.... but still nothing when the cars on?

Old 03-25-2007, 04:05 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: Hatchit

ok all your test clear out.(desert honda)... i can push thru with the 9 volt.... but still nothing when the cars on?
What do you mean all the tests clear out ?? if they did, that would mean that you also have power and ground at the fuel pump connectors ?? if so, why do you need to apply another battery source to make the pump activate??? you are comtradicting yourself or i am not understanding what you said properly ..what i am getting is that .. if you need to apply another battery source , that would mean that you got either NO power or NO ground // Am i wrong ?? is there power ( 12 volts ) and ground available at the fuel pump connector??? yes or no ..

Old 03-25-2007, 04:37 PM

ORIGINAL: deserthonda

ORIGINAL: Hatchit

What do you mean all the tests clear out ?? if they did, that would mean that you also have power and ground at the fuel pump connectors ?? if so, why do you need to apply another battery source to make the pump activate??? you are comtradicting yourself or i am not understanding what you said properly ..what i am getting is that .. if you need to apply another battery source , that would mean that you got either NO power or NO ground // Am i wrong ?? is there power ( 12 volts ) and ground available at the fuel pump connector??? yes or no ..

power is there all the way up to the fuse box.... it cecks out all the way thru..... and what i was trying to say is that (when he cars on) it pumps nothing.... but just to check the pumps operation i used a 9 volt to see if it's a abd pump.... it's not the pump..... and i by passed the relay.. and the pump ran continualy but pumped nothing up.... but if i use the 9 vold i can push fuel with no problem....

Quick Reply: beautifully clean 87 dx manual fuel pump problem