General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Best Honda Accord breaking pads

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 12:18 AM
Lightbulb Best Honda Accord breaking pads

I have a 2003 Honda Accord Ex and I would like to know what break pads are the best fit for this car. What brands do you guys recommend?

Old 08-27-2013, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

What are your goals? Wagner Thermo-Quiet are nice, normal pads.

Some are stronger, stiffer, but cause more wear on your rotors. Or they make more dust on your wheels.

There's a joke about brakes.... Germans don't care if they make noise, as long as they work. Americans don't care if they work, as long as they're quiet.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JimBlake
There's a joke about brakes.... Germans don't care if they make noise, as long as they work. Americans don't care if they work, as long as they're quiet.
I've never heard that joke, but sadly, it is too true.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Andresv
I have a 2003 Honda Accord Ex and I would like to know what break pads are the best fit for this car. What brands do you guys recommend?
There really is no such a thing as a "best" brake pad; as JimBlake alluded to, some pads are quieter (and possibly less dusty as well) but don't provide maximum braking force, other pads are noisy, dusty, but stop like dropping an anchor. Still other pads are kind of a compromise between the two extremes; take your pick.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:47 AM
Wink

What are your goals? Wagner Thermo-Quiet are nice, normal pads.

Some are stronger, stiffer, but cause more wear on your rotors. Or they make more dust on your wheels.

I really don't mind about dust or noise, I'm looking for brake pads with strong stopping force and at the same time will not do so much damage to my rotors.

I've heard Performance friction and EBC make really good break pads.

What do you guys suggest?

Old 08-27-2013, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Andresv
I really don't mind about dust or noise, I'm looking for brake pads with strong stopping force and at the same time will not do so much damage to my rotors.

I've heard Performance friction and EBC make really good break pads.

What do you guys suggest?
As a general rule brake pads with superior stopping power also thin the rotors out at a quicker pace.

Why is it that you think you need better stopping power than the factory brake pads; are you racing your car in weekend club events?

Old 08-27-2013, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

I've used Hawk HPS pads & liked them. I don't NEED em but they feel a bit better to me. A little more progressive & controllable.

I've heard good stuff about EBC Green, but haven't used them myself. EBC also makes racing pads (Red??) that you probably don't want to use on the street.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

I've used Hawk HPS pads & liked them. I don't NEED em but they feel a bit better to me. A little more progressive & controllable.

I've heard good stuff about EBC Green, but haven't used them myself. EBC also makes racing pads (Red??) that you probably don't want to use on the street.
I have no issue with buying aggressive brake pads, but then again, I don't care about rotor life either as I replace the rotors when I replace the pads.

Old 08-27-2013, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Exactly why I asked about goals. Its nice to have brakes that feel a bit stiffer, but then Andresv can decide if it's OK for the rotors wear out faster.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by shipo
I've never heard that joke, but sadly, it is too true.
I've never heard that joke either; but, I like it.

Quick Reply: Best Honda Accord breaking pads