General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Blinking MIL under load

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2021, 06:36 PM
Default Blinking MIL under load

When I was going up the mountain by my house the other day headed home (its a steep mountain, usually makes me run 3,500-4,000 rpm at 55mph going uphill) my MIL started blinking about 3/4 of the way up. I IMMEDIATELY pulled over and the blinking stopped as I did. I decided to try to make my way home, once I hit 3500rpm and 40mph (once again, going uphill) the check engine light started blinking again. I made it to the top of the mountain and the light went off again. I don't have a code reader that will read stored trouble codes, and the nearest mechanic with one is back over the mountain. Which I don't want to attempt under obvious reasons. I realize the most common cause for a blinking MIL is a misfire. Would changing the spark plugs and ignition coils possibly help? Has anyone else had this issue?
My car is a 2005 Honda Accord EX 2 Door Coupe with automatic transmission and 4 cylinder VTEC engine and 253,000 miles

Old 09-18-2021, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Changing the plugs and coils may be a waste of time and money. You really should get the code(s) scanned.

California may be different, but most parts stores can read codes. You may want to find one nearby to see if they can read codes.

Old 09-18-2021, 08:01 PM

Im in a small town in the mountains and when I called the parts store here, they told me if I came in they wouldn't be able to read it unless it was currently on, which I have no lights on. It only happens when I'm on the mountain going uphill at 3500-4000 rpm. When I back off or start going downhill it goes back off.. I don't want to waste money on coils and plugs if not needed but I know at the same time my car could **probably** use it. I just bought it and I've been replacing alot thats been reglected.

Old 09-18-2021, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

The code reader should read stored codes as well.

If you do some work, I'd say that the plugs are reasonable. A bad coil would be bad all of the time and altitude shouldn't cause a problem.

With altitude and high rpms causing issues, it could be the car can't get the air/fuel ratio correct. Without codes, that is just a guess.

Old 09-28-2021, 02:44 PM
Default Finally got a scanner

Finally got an obd2 scanner and it came up with this. Im putting up the picture. researching now but not really coming up with much. Going to change my coils and plugs at the beginning of the month and hope it helps. If not idk, any ideas would be great and most appreciated.

Old 09-28-2021, 02:54 PM
Default Finally got a scanner

I finally got a scanner and it came up with this. im attaching the picture. Im planning on changing coils and plugs this next week but any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.