General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Blower Motor Resistor

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 01:19 AM
Default Blower Motor Resistor

I have a 1990 Honda Accord LX in which the blower would not operate. I tested the blower motor itself and it works. Is there a procedure for testing the blower motor resistor?

Thanks!

Old 03-12-2007, 02:10 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Blower Motor Resistor

are you getting power and ground at the blower motor connector ?? does motor not work in any speeds ? does it work only on high ?
I have seen it many times that even if you have a bad motor , it will come on at times after being hit or bumped the internal brushes are worn to the point that they do not make contact ( motor won't work ) but if you bang on the motor or hit a bump, the brushes could make contact and motor works for a short while till that part that is making contact will wear down or the next bump you hit ..

first of all chk to make sure that underhood fuse # 18 , 30 amps is good and under dash fuse # 8, 7.5 amps is also good ,, if they are good,, get a test lite and chk to see if you get power with key on and fan motor switch on ,at the yel/black wire at the blower motor connector and get ground at the blue/red wire
if you get both you got a bad motor,, if you get no power could be a bad relay (located in dash fuse box ) or wiring ,, if you get no ground could be a bad fan switch , heater control panel or wiring

if the resistor goes bad the motor will still work but ONLY in high speed , unless there is a wiring problem from the splice after the resistor to the motor connection ( blue/red wire )
in other words system needs to be diagnosed to find the problem ,, Do Not just throw parts in

let us know

Old 03-12-2007, 02:23 AM

Thanks Desert Honda, I already checked the two fuses and they are good. I guess I can rule out the resistor being bad because the motor isn't stuck on high. I will check the wiring for power and ground and let you know what I find. Thanks again.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:20 PM

ORIGINAL: 2Hondas

................ I guess I can rule out the resistor being bad because the motor isn't stuck on high. ..........
To be a bit more precise, if the resistor is bad, but the motor good, the fan will operate, butONLY when theblower switch is in its highest (fastest) position. In all switch positions below the highest, the blowerwill not operate.

If I remember right, there are three plugs that plug ontosockets that are onthe blower housing. If you only connect the two-wireplug (the wires directly from the motor), leaving the other plugsdisconnected, you will find that the blower will operate only when the blower switch is in the highest position. When this is done, I believe that the resistor is effectively removed from the circuit.

IFthe resistor andall other partsin the circuitare good, when the other plugs are connected, the blower will operate at all of the other speeds as theblower switchposition ismoved.

If the blower operates each and every time that the switch is put in its highest position, even after bumping and shaking the motor, likely the motor is good and some other component is bad.

Old 03-25-2007, 12:56 PM

Thanks guys, it was the blower motor after all. The brushes were worn. I replaced the motor and it is working fine now.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:37 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: 2Hondas

Thanks guys, it was the blower motor after all. The brushes were worn. I replaced the motor and it is working fine now.
thanks for letting us know the fix...

I wish everyone that gets help. and their issue get resolved would do the same

Old 01-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Mark.Campbell.87
Unregistered

Hey guys, thanks for the help. I'm having the same problem with my 1991 Accord LX. But with this, i should be able to fix it.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Mark.Campbell.87
Unregistered

So I pulled the whole blower motor out of the car and put it in my shop. It works with a direct 12 volt connection (gotta love spare batteries) and all the connections seem to be clean and good, and there are no loose whires. Is it possibly a bad connection in the car itself?

Old 01-16-2008, 03:54 PM
rexboy
Unregistered

My blower works only on high and intermittently.
Where is the resistor located so that I can check it out?
Can I remvove the motor without removing the blower assembly

Old 01-16-2008, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: rexboy

My blower works only on high and intermittently.
Where is the resistor located so that I can check it out?
Can I remvove the motor without removing the blower assembly
What's this on, a '72 Pinto? Honda usually puts them somewhere on the blower housing, but it varies over the 30 years they've been making Accords.

Quick Reply: Blower Motor Resistor