General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brake bleeder kit recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 09:11 PM
Default Brake bleeder kit recommendation

I have a 2003 Honda Accord LX, 4 cyl, manual xmission. I'm interested in changing the brake fluid. I'm looking for a brake bleeder kit. This would be for a one person operation, meaning I don't have another person who can pump the brakes while I watch the fluid drain at the bleed valve. I also don't have access to an air compressor to use with the kit. Does anyone have a recommendation for a reliable, quality brake bleeder kit?

Old 08-29-2020, 11:13 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Just do a self bleed then use tubing for a pump at the end. At least that's how I do it. Steps I take:

-Open bleeder and let it self bleed
-Wait until it runs clear and tighten
-Put tubing on and put it in a container of clean fluid (ensure the fluid is over the end of the tube)
-Loosen bleeder valve and pump brake one time then tighten.
- Then move to the next one (refill reservoir as needed)
This method does take longer to do

If you want an actual kit then a
kit kit
like this will do.

Old 08-30-2020, 09:52 AM

Seanjordan, thanks for your response. The Amazon link you included resulted in a blank page. Can you indicate the full product name so that I can search on the Amazon site?

Old 08-30-2020, 09:57 AM

This is it

Attached Thumbnails Brake bleeder kit recommendation-photo266.jpg  
Old 08-30-2020, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

If your master cylinder hasn't run dry, you can just use a clear plastic hose and let the system gravity bleed until you see the fluid turn clear. Just make sure the brake fluid level doesn't drop below the bottom of the plastic reservoir.

Old 08-30-2020, 07:48 PM

Sean, thanks for the screenshot. I was able to locate it on the Amazon site. Is it true that if you use a brake bleeder kit, you minimize the chances of air entering the system?

Old 08-30-2020, 08:46 PM

Yes it is but there's other things like getting a tube to put over the valve and do a self bleed. But a kit is the most common way to achieve bleeding without introducing air

Old 08-31-2020, 08:24 PM

PAhonda, thanks for the reminder to ensure that the master cylinder reservoir doesn't drop below the bottom of the plastic reservoir.

I tried to do a "dry run" today. I crept under the car and located one of the bleed nipples. I slipped an 8mm combo wrench (using the closed end) on the nut just below the nipple, to make sure it could be loosened. See picture. The nut wouldn't budge, even after squirting WD-40 (in the process I lost the nipple rubber cap in the wheel abyss). The 8mm wrench has a very small length, hence it doesn't provide much leverage. How can I overcome this issue?

Old 08-31-2020, 08:40 PM

Take the wheel off and do it from above where you have leverage.

Old 08-31-2020, 08:51 PM
Super Moderator

Use a box end wrench, long pattern if you can find it. Home Depot carries one.

Place the wrench's closed end on the nut, whack the other end of the wrench with an open palm or something.

Quick Reply: Brake bleeder kit recommendation