General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

brake warning light turns on when installed backup camera

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 09:05 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Ok I see what kit you have.

Your rear view camera should be on at all times while the car is running giving you the rear view mirror look. So it seems the only thing you have to troubleshoot is the brake light. Am I correct in this

Old 01-14-2021, 09:26 AM
Newest Of Newbies

You are Correct, the camera works fine apart from the break light warning but what is troubling me is that on the Manual it said that the back up camera should be trigged only when in reverse gear. Also there are no parking ads bars if you have power on all the time.

Old 01-14-2021, 09:56 AM

By default it's on all the time. You have to go into the settings and configure it the way you want it. You should be able to activate backup lines when in reverse in the settings

Old 01-14-2021, 10:36 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Unfortunately, there is no such option in the camera setting. Anyway, do you have any idea why it gives me the "brake light" problem? Could it be a problem in the T-tap connector?

Old 01-14-2021, 10:42 PM

I don't think the reverse has nothing to do with the brake light. I would troubleshoot the wires for the brake light if it showed up after the install. Check voltage on the wire.

My favorite electric guy here should chime in on how to troubleshoot it. I'm not good at explaining the steps

Old 01-14-2021, 10:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies

what type of light bulb the honda accord 1994 mount for the brake light? Could it help to change it?
Anyway I will check the voltage

Old 01-15-2021, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Do all the brake lights turn on when you hit the brake pedal with this setup?

I'll have to look at the wiring diagram when I get home from work to see how that circuit is setup.

Old 01-15-2021, 10:31 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Do all the brake lights turn on when you hit the brake pedal with this setup?

I'll have to look at the wiring diagram when I get home from work to see how that circuit is setup.
​​​​​​
Yes all the light illuminate properly. Thank you

Old 01-15-2021, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

The grn/blk wire has nothing to do with the brake lamp switch, so the backup camera shouldn't cause the brake lamp to turn on. It looks like you tapped into the correct grn/blk wire. Just verify that the bulb you tapped into turns on when you have the car in reverse. You may need an assistant to verify.

If you verify the reverse light is tapped, then I can only think of 2 items that may have caused the issue.

1. Somehow the ground (g551) has a poor connection. G551 is a eyelet with several black wires going into it bolted very near the driver's tail light inside the trunk. Disconnect G551 and clean the bolt and eyelet with sandpaper to make sure you have a good ground.

2. The brake light bulbs were unseated when you were working back there. Pull each brake light bulb and clean the contacts, then reinstall. Also inspect the wire harness for corrosion or loose connections. Also check the brake lamp connector. It is a black box that is screwed/bolted to the rear driver's tail light.

Old 01-16-2021, 09:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hello, at the end I brought the car to the mechanic and he found out that was a problem with the brakes system. Fix it and the light didn't turn on again but then another problem comes out, the mirror of the camera power on to the logo but restart again and it keeps doing like this until I remove the power cable. It seems that the guy plugs it into the fuse box to hide the cables. Any suggestion what could be wrong there?

Quick Reply: brake warning light turns on when installed backup camera