General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Brakes!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 10:29 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered
Default Brakes!

1997 4 CYL Auto LX

When I hit the brakes, my steering wheel shakes noticeably. Any thoughts as to what this could be? Basically I know nothing about brakes...I'll be honest. So if someone could brake (haha get it?[8D]) it down to me that would be great, b/c as I understand it, my year was the last year to have a certain type of brake which is why there is a bolt in the center of the wheel and its expensive to replace. I wanted to ask at Adavance but I dont even know what to ask for!
So could someone please give me a part/price list thats broken down. And maybe the $ difference for oem spec brakes to a performance brake.
Thanks So Much Guys! I'll buy ya a 6 pack and a pizza (In three years...sry! lol )!

Old 05-16-2007, 09:02 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Brakes!

It sounds like your rotors may be warped. I had that issue on my 94.

Regardign the challenge of replacing the rotors on that model, there was a post last week detailing a tool for removing the rotors (pressed on, i beleive) where the hub it outside of it...Might search on that. I think the tool was about 180 or so, but I allows you to change to rotors very quickly with little pain.

If you need new rotors and pads, I wouldnt be surprised to see it in the 400-500$ range. I recall paying that much at a Car-X, but this was back in 2001.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:56 PM

I have gotten my pads replaced and rotors resurfaced last summer. Most likely they turned the rotors, but anyways I got it done at Honda. I would say if you can get a special from your dealer (coupons) then you can get it done around $200 or less. From this forum I have heard you want to use only Honda brake pads. The steering wheel shake is definitely a rotor issue if it occurs when you brake. Looks like smaglik has given you good advice. I just am putting my 10 cents in.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

If your rotors still have enough material, look for someplace that can resurface them on the car. Sidestep the issue of taking them off...
Then just get new pads.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:09 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Alright. Thanks Though the price is def. not very appealing!

Does anyplace like Midas do free brake checks?

Old 05-16-2007, 06:13 PM

grab a jack, block the rear tires, jack up the front tire, put the car in neutral then spin/rotate the tire by hand and see if it slows or "catches" in a certain area, if it does then you just confirmed a warped rotor for free.... your spare tire jack should work just fine for this and a couple of rocks or 2x4's to block the front and back of the rear tires, put your e-brake on as well to help keep it from rolling....

Old 05-16-2007, 07:25 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Alright Sir. I did as you told me (thank you by the way). Ive enver done this before so I couldnt really tell if it was harder to pull here or there. But on both tires I could def. hear a rubbing noise only for about a 1/4 or 1/5 turn. It wasmore pronounced on the passenger side than the drivers.
So how would I go about finding if I can get them resurfaced or if I have to replace them completely. Also, is it common for my car w/ 83k miles on it to have so-so brakes already? Lastly, could the rubbing cause a big drop in gas mileage, say 4-6mpg?

Thanks

Old 05-16-2007, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Dragging brakes willhurt fuel usage. It's normal for SOME dragging, but hard to say whether yours is normal without spinning the wheel firsthand.

If you have a micrometer or caliper (the measuring device, not the brake caliper) you can measure the thickness of the rotor. Then you just need someone who knows what's the minimum allowable thickness for 1997...

Old 05-17-2007, 06:14 PM
Deleted User
Unregistered
Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Old 05-17-2007, 06:46 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Thanks for the replies

$110 is a little less of a pain in the butt! how much are pads and how hard are they to change?

Quick Reply: Brakes!