General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Break upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Brokenhip
Yes i live in a wide temperature climate. +35 to -25 average. Yes they salt and sand the roads. Pins have seized. The pads get wedged and i have a piston seizing ( it still moves but barely
Hamilton Ontario has temperature extremes no where near other areas of North America, and yet, you are the first I've seen complaining of such brake issues. How many times have your pins seized? Have they been properly cleaned and lubricated during brake jobs? How many times have the pistons in your calipers seized? Who is doing your brake jobs; maybe it is time to find a new shop.

Old 08-20-2019, 03:06 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by shipo
Hamilton Ontario has temperature extremes no where near other areas of North America, and yet, you are the first I've seen complaining of such brake issues. How many times have your pins seized? Have they been properly cleaned and lubricated during brake jobs? How many times have the pistons in your calipers seized? Who is doing your brake jobs; maybe it is time to find a new shop.
I agree. I'm just across the river from Sarnia Ont, and we get similar weather (you're about 60 miles from me). The questions Shipo mentioned above are all good ones, since you live in the "salt belt', and some of the stuff they're adding to it isn't helping. I haven't ran into a caliper seizing yet, but IF I did, I'd start looking at hoses too. But, since your car is only 4 years old, I don't think hoses would cause a problem. I have however ran into a bad rebuilt caliper (07 Civic, as the original was leaking fluid out the PB mechanism), and a bad stock Honda caliper (08 Pilot) that ate the pad material off the right rear pads (both cars). I want to think these were the exceptions, and not normal.
Oh, and one more thing I want to add, check the fit of the pads into the pad holder/top hat on installation. I've personally found some were very tight fitting (can cause extra wear) and some fit nice. On the tight fitting ones, I grind a little off to make them slide easier. They are aftermarket parts, made in China, so I expect to have to adjust them to work.

Last edited by The Toecutter; 08-20-2019 at 03:10 PM.