General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Broke Off Shark Fin of Antenna - Need Help Repairing

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2022, 10:10 AM
Default Broke Off Shark Fin of Antenna - Need Help Repairing

Hello. New to these forums and tried to search for this topic but didn't find it. Apologies if it already exists.

I have a 2018 Accord 2.0T and by some fluke when I was backing up, my garage door scooped up my antenna cover (looks like a shark fin) on the roof and tore it off. Somehow there is no damage to the roof or rear windshield thankfully (black pieces on the roof are just dirt).

The shark fin piece itself doesn't really seem damaged aside from a scratch but when I try to press it down it won't click on. For now I have duct taped it as it is raining these days and so it doesn't fly off though I am sure that won't be good for the paint or possibly when I try to peal it off.

There was also a metal piece inside that came off which I don't know how it reattaches. I think it is for grounding but am not sure. The radio is working without any issues.

Anyone have any suggestions for reattaching the white fin permanently? Can I use maybe gorilla glue to get it to stick to the base of the antenna unit? I will not glue to the actual roof. Any other ideas if that is not a good one? Also is there a diagram anywhere so that I can see where and how that metal piece goes in?

I have attached some photos.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 03-26-2022, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

The permanent fix is to replace the antennae. The headliner can be partially removed, then the new antennae is attached with a bolt and capture washer from inside the car.