General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 05:35 PM

After you replace the PCV, and if its still doing it, then my uneducated guess would be two things. Its leaking oil, or its burning oil literally. Its not everyday that you hear of a Honda engine leaking oil. I would bet that its something easy to fix, considering that fact that Honda makes the best engines of all time in my opinion.

Old 12-16-2011, 03:35 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by crispin
I am losing about a quart per 1,000 miles.
A) I am sure if I followed the car around it would show some smoking at certain times. I was just saying it is nothing I have ever seen.
Most of the times when cars have bad valve seals you can see a puff of smoke when started. I have never seen that.
B) I still am going to check / replace the PCV valve as that makes the most sense.

[A puff of smoke at start-up isn't related to using 1qt oil/1000 miles - but you know that]

A) vs. B) - well the local auto parts store must like you.

B) In a past life I tried to throw parts at cars to solve problems, let me try to remember the number of times that worked ... hhmmm.
Well, sure that you're just better than I was. Luck. Signing off.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by UhOh

[A puff of smoke at start-up isn't related to using 1qt oil/1000 miles - but you know that]

A) vs. B) - well the local auto parts store must like you.

B) In a past life I tried to throw parts at cars to solve problems, let me try to remember the number of times that worked ... hhmmm.
Well, sure that you're just better than I was. Luck. Signing off.

Are you saying that me replacing the PVC valve on a car that has 140k miles on it, a part that costs $3.99, would be wrong?

As for the Auto Parts store loving me, well I have spent not much more $200 on parts in the 2 years that I have owned this car and that includes the $100 radiator that I replaced when I bought the car and the money I spent replacing the timing belt and water pump. I do not think the Auto Parts store has really noticed my purchases.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Crispin-

Just curious if you have replaced the PCV and did it solve the problem ??

Old 12-26-2011, 02:38 PM

So I wanted to update this thread with my findings.

I had to drive to Florida to pick up my son this past weekend, it was a 1,600 miles round trip.

Before I left I had to add another quart and a half of oil which was pretty surprising as I had only driven the car a few hundred miles since checking it.

Anyway I took off the PVC valve and cleaned it by soaking it in some cleaner for a few mins.

After driving 1,600 miles the level of oil did not drop at all. I am pretty amazed. It was a clogged PVC valve. That sure is better than bad valve seals.

I will pick up a new one tomorrow.

Thank you for pointing me in that direction as I most likely would not have thought of it.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:41 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Glad to hear the oil mystery is solved...I knew from the symptoms (oil consumption, etc) that the PCV being clogged was the likely cause. Buy a new one and clean it regularly with the solvent.