General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A/C Compressor HORROR

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 10:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default A/C Compressor HORROR

So I recently did some A/C work on my 98 Accord... it had a leaky suction line (low side), so I replaced that and recharged the system. Man, it was nice having COLD air... 47 - 49 degrees!

This past Sunday, I was spraying some Seafoam into my intake thingy and all the sudden I smell something burning and smoke comes pouring out of the engine!

I turned the engine off and examined things closer to see smoke pouring out of the A/C compressor clutch. It wasn't cold anymore in the cabin; it was apparent that the compressor froze up and died.

From this I have logically concluded that Seafoam destroys compressors.

So anyway, I was wondering... what if I bashed the compressor a few dozen times hard with a ball peen hammer? Maybe that'll free things up and it'll work again and I'll have my COLD back, and (most importantly) I won't have to spent $250 on a new one.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

It's worse than a "stuck compressor". What likely happened was you recharged the system w/o adding additional AC lubricant. AC restarted and ran fine, but w/ low lubricant level, the pistons in the compressor gradually siezed leading to stoppage.

Another possibility: Will engine run OK w/ AC off? It should if it's rotating on the clutch bearing. If clutch bearing froze, it might cause your symptoms w/o damage to compressor. If clutch bearing is frozen, it may be possible to fix w/o discharging system.

Siezure of the compressor results in debris being carried around the system. If you attempt to replace only the damaged compressor, the same thing will happen again as the debris will get into compressor and cause siezure. Correct repair usually is to replace compressor, condensor, evaporator, and receiver/drier. Flush all hoses carefully. Reassemble, add lubricant, close system, and recharge.

good luck

Old 05-30-2013, 12:08 PM

get new compressor from yard, it failed from lack of compressor oil

Old 05-31-2013, 12:24 AM
Newest Of Newbies

No, I added oil when I replaced the suction line. I also flushed the system pretty well.

I'm pretty sure the compressor failed because, well, it's the original one and pretty old.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:33 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Yes, the car runs fine when the A/C is off because the clutch is disengaged and the pulley turns freely without the compressor operating.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

So the compressor is siezed, for unknown reason. However, my initial post applies. What type of oil did you add?

It is possible something mechanically simple caused the siezure besides pistons siezing in cylinders. For instance, a flap valve could break and jam the compressor.

Suggest removing the receiver/drier. Pour out the oil from the receiver/drier and look for evidence of debris (aluminum grit). If you don't find any, then a compressor replacement alone might work. However, if you do find debris, my original recommendation for replacement should be considered.

good luck

Last edited by TexasHonda; 05-31-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Airdorn
No, I added oil when I replaced the suction line. I also flushed the system pretty well.

I'm pretty sure the compressor failed because, well, it's the original one and pretty old.

How did you flush the system?