General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

a/c issues with 1997 Honda Accord Ex

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 12:54 PM
Default a/c issues with 1997 Honda Accord Ex

Greetings from Evansville, IN

I have a 1997 Honda accord ex that we purchased new back in 1997. I have worked on the AC issue for two days. I believe I have an electrical issue. I have a Helm Shop manual and I have followed most of the trouble shooting descriptions. I need to check the AC switch. I have not done this yet because of the amount of dis assembly required to get to the AC switch. This is next on my list this evening,

I checked the AC thermostat and it appears to be good. Both fans turned on when I grounded the center wire (blue-red, if I remember correctly). The clutch on the compressor is supposed to engage at the same time as the fans. It did not engage. I checked the clutch by connecting 12 V + directly from the battery and the clutch engaged. I also checked all three relays (cooling fan, condenser fan and ac compressor clutch) and all are working properly with good continuity when pulled in by the solenoid (with direct connection to the battery). I also checked the pressure switch and have continuity there and voltage as indicated in the troubleshooting diagram.
I have checked voltages at both thermal switches and each have the required voltage on the specified terminal. Shorting the temperature sensor A connector (near the thermostat housing) turns the fans on.

I have one major question.... how does one remove the AC diode from the black plastic holder? It appears to have some type of safety catch to keep the diode plugged into the connector. I know the AC diode simply plugs in using two small spade terminals encased with the plastic.

My biggest concern is the problems might be caused by a defective ECU. The only wire I could find on the schematic running to the compressor relay solenoid connects to the ECU. I need to stop by a local electronics store to find back probes for my cheap craftsman digital voltmeter. I need to check the voltages at the ECU on connectors A and C.

I appreciate any help. Thank you in advance for your kind assistance.

Sincerely,

Brķan S. Du Bois

ps I followed the various threads already on this site and they were very helpful. My issue is a bit different and the older thread was from 2011.

pps I edited several typo error and syntax errors. I submitted too quickly and did not self edit.

Last edited by bsdubois; 06-20-2013 at 12:18 AM. Reason: correct spelling error
Old 06-19-2013, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

I've moved this to General Tech for better response.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:24 PM

Thank you for moving the post. I am new to the forum and really did not know where to place it.

BSD