General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

A/C not working 99 accord

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default A/C not working 99 accord

1999 Accord Coupe ExV6 Automatic

A/C was working fine and one hot day i decide to turn it on and it wouldnt cool. Condenser fan fuse was blown out, and whenever i replace the fuse it blows out again. All help appreciated

Old 07-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Unplug it and see if it still blows the fuse.

Old 07-18-2010, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

A fan motor that's ready to burn out will draw more current than it's supposed to. That's probably where Chris is going with that. If it still blows fuses when the fan motor is unplugged, then the problem is elsewhere.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:58 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

In building prototype Car for Ford at Roush our vehicle would blow the fuse for the AC compressor and the guy I was working with said it is for sure the compressor and fought it out with the engineers that weren’t buying a brand new compressor(clutch) being bad. I was a little nervous as it was a big deal for Ford to gets us a replacement and with the engineers watching the install like we were delivering a baby. It did work and asked the guy I was working with how he was so sure when everyone else was in disagreement troubleshooting the circuit. . “ He said I just unplugged the compressor clutch and tried it.”

Old 07-19-2010, 03:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies

How do I unplug it? Im a lil confused as what you mean by that.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Unplug the wiring harness to the fan motor (#4).

Obviously the fan won't run, but IF that stops the fuses from blowing, then you need a new fan motor.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:42 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Update: Looking at my radiator and the fans there are 2 fans of course... i dont know which is the condenser fan but i did notice that the fan on the left (left if you are facing the car) would not move if i tried to move it manually with my hands.. as if it was stuck or something... Is this fan suppose to only engage when the car tells it to? or should i at least be able to move it if the car is off? The fan on the right moves no problem.

I havent unplugged the harness yet because i dont know which one to unplug :-\ right or left fan? facing the car

Old 07-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Newest Of Newbies

UPDATE: **** Put new 20a condenser fan fuse and unplugged the fan motor... to my surprise the AC turned on and was blowing out cool air once again... Tried this several times felt the compressor kick in and everything

BUT

I turned the car off with the AC OFF and connected the harness to the fan once again... then when i turned the car on and turned the AC ON felt the compressor kick in then immediately die like before, 20a fuse is blown..

So my next question would be, is it safe to drive with that fan unplugged so the AC could work? Would the car overheat? Do i just need to get a new fan? or is it the motor to the fan?

JimBlake i stumbled upon this because of you so thank you =)

Old 07-22-2010, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

With only one fan you will have issues with the ac on and stopped at lights. Not enough air moving through the rad. Need to replace the motor or the whole thing. You can look on-line or call around to see if they sell just the motor or fan and shroud.

edit: the one on the right pass side of the car is the rad fan. The one on the left drivers side is the cond fan...sorry I left that out.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

The a/c condenser fan is the thinner one, the bigger motor is the radiator fan. On my 95, that means the passenger side is the radiator fan, driver's side is the condenser. I think your car is the same.

I am not sure which one you unplugged. Did either of the fans work when the a/c was running?

As long as your temperature gauge in the car does not start rising (watch your gauge especially when you are stopped), you can do this temporarily.

You can replace the fan motor. Just remove the fan blade and transfer it to the new one.

Quick Reply: A/C not working 99 accord