General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Can’t figure out why my car shakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 12:17 PM
Default Can’t figure out why my car shakes

Before you say it I have had and alignment, new tires, rotation and balance, passenger cv axel replaced, so pretty much the car starts to vibrate a bit at 50 and shakes More the harder I press the gas pedal Through 50-60 then clears up and drives smooth after that, any ideas on what else can cause this

Old 08-21-2020, 12:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Is there movement in the wheel when the front end is up. Have you had the rotors and brakes checked? Ball joints?

Old 08-21-2020, 12:47 PM

If you feel shaking in the 50-65 MPH range, but not under and over, then it's likely a tire balance issue or bad tire.
Some tires are "out of round" and just because they balance it doesn't mean they did a good job.

Only other thing I can think of is engine mounts

Old 08-21-2020, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

I'm inclined to believe it is either a bad axle (or axles) or a bad tire (or tires). Yes, yes, yes, I know, the OP said the axles have already been replaced. Yeah, about that; my TL, (basically a tarted up Accord) had a speed sensitive vibration which prompted me to change the axles; I swapped in a new set of AutoZone DuraLast axles, and the vibration was maybe slightly improved, but definitely still there. A year later I replaced the axles again, this time with a new pair of APWI (well regarded in Acura circles), and BINGO, smoothness!

By the way @Maudh Alraggad, what kind of car do you have?

Old 08-21-2020, 03:16 PM

I have a 2005 accord ex so i bought it like this with the shake thinking it would be a simple fix, since I have had the car I have had brand new tires put on and balance short after, that didn’t work so I got and alignment. After that didn’t work I replaced the axel on the passenger side. Another alignment later it still doing the exact same thing no matter what I do, no better no worse, lastly I jacked the front end up and brought the speed up to 55 no shake

Old 08-21-2020, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Maudh Alraggad
I have a 2005 accord ex so i bought it like this with the shake thinking it would be a simple fix, since I have had the car I have had brand new tires put on and balance short after, that didn’t work so I got and alignment. After that didn’t work I replaced the axel on the passenger side. Another alignment later it still doing the exact same thing no matter what I do, no better no worse, lastly I jacked the front end up and brought the speed up to 55 no shake
Replace both axles with new APWI units and call it done.

Old 08-21-2020, 05:42 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by shipo
Replace both axles with new APWI units and call it done.
+1

Always replace axles in pairs. I have an 07 accord and changed my axles 60k miles ago. I had to change them twice and never got the initial take off vibration to disappear. 2 months ago I finally chose to change the brand and all the vibration went away. Thanks to advance auto my old ones still were under warranty so I got a refund.