General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cant find Honda ATF DW1 Fluid in stores. For my 1993 Honda accord (auto trans)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 10:41 AM
Default Cant find Honda ATF DW1 Fluid in stores. For my 1993 Honda accord (auto trans)

I have a honda 1993 accord. And I want to change my fluid out. I don't know what is in there now. But my guess, it's either Dextron 2 or 3. My Haynes manual recommends Dextron 2.
And I cant find Honda Genuine Honda Fluid 08200-9008 ATF-DW1 Automatic Transmission Fluid in stores. I know it's on amazon, but I prefer to buy fluids in stores. I'm not sure why it's only sold on amazon?
Anybody know why that is and where else to get it?

And after my research people always say only use Honda Genuine Transmission Fluids. If that is the case, then why wouldn't they be sold in stores?

I want to buy enough Transmission Fluid to refill and drain every 100 miles (3 times so I know what stuff is in there for now on). To get the good stuff in it. I'm afraid I'll mix bad stuff with the good. And I don't know what to buy here. Although I do think that HONDA ATF is more recommended for the newer honda accords. Only use Honda Transmission Fluid. But to me it would be outrageous not to sell this at auto part stores if that is the case or walmart.

Anyways the advice or recommendations is based on the experience that you guys have. *I'm sorry if this has been brought up a thousand times* Those threads seem older.

Has anyone used " Valvoline MaxLife 1 Gallon Synthetic Transmission Fluid " ? I think it's about the same price? A little cheaper.

Also my next question is can Dexron 2 and 3 mix?

Eric the car guy says this:

"The other thing to remember about Honda automatics is that you need to use Honda automatic transmission fluid in a Honda transmission. If you use other automatic transmission fluids, the transmission might not shift the same and could have problems as a result."

Ah man my head is going to explode. So many conflicting answers.

Last edited by plenum; 07-27-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:34 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by plenum
I have a honda 1993 accord. And I want to change my fluid out. I don't know what is in there now. But my guess, it's either Dextron 2 or 3. My Haynes manual recommends Dextron 2.
And I cant find Honda Genuine Honda Fluid 08200-9008 ATF-DW1 Automatic Transmission Fluid in stores. I know it's on amazon, but I prefer to buy fluids in stores. I'm not sure why it's only sold on amazon?
Anybody know why that is and where else to get it?

And after my research people always say only use Honda Genuine Transmission Fluids. If that is the case, then why wouldn't they be sold in stores?

I want to buy enough Transmission Fluid to refill and drain every 100 miles (3 times so I know what stuff is in there for now on). To get the good stuff in it. I'm afraid I'll mix bad stuff with the good. And I don't know what to buy here. Although I do think that HONDA ATF is more recommended for the newer honda accords. Only use Honda Transmission Fluid. But to me it would be outrageous not to sell this at auto part stores if that is the case or walmart.

Anyways the advice or recommendations is based on the experience that you guys have. *I'm sorry if this has been brought up a thousand times* Those threads seem older.

Has anyone used " Valvoline MaxLife 1 Gallon Synthetic Transmission Fluid " ? I think it's about the same price? A little cheaper.

Also my next question is can Dexron 2 and 3 mix?

"The other thing to remember about Honda automatics is that you need to use Honda automatic transmission fluid in a Honda transmission. If you use other automatic transmission fluids, the transmission might not shift the same and could have problems as a result."

Ah man my head is going to explode. So many conflicting answers.
Do a search of the forum. I believe about a month ago we had this discussion with another member on here, and decided that DW-1 was first started being used in 94 or 95. You can get it from Honda dealers too.
Yes, Dexron 2 and 3 mix, but you won't find either one in stores as it's been upgraded to Dexron VI now. I think someone suggested using Valvoline synthetic ATF if you're going to use Dexron in your Honda. The general consensus was to use DW-1 in the Honda trans though, as it's better.

Old 07-27-2019, 12:35 PM

I have a honda 1993 accord.

Honda tranny fluid will be available at your Honda dealer; don't know about RockAuto. Usual wisdom, which I accept, is to use the Honda house brand fluid.

But, in my '97 Accord A/T I've used Oreilly Global A/T fluid for last 100K miles (fluid originally chosen by a rebuild mechanic - long story) and it's worked fine, to my surprise.
I'd go with Honda fluid if I were you.

Old 07-27-2019, 01:15 PM

Thanks guys. I called up a few honda dealerships, the parts departments are closed. But I'll check on Monday. If it's similar in price. Then I will go with the Honda ATF DW-1.
If not I'll try one of the two recommendations:
Valvoline synthetic ATF
Oreilly Global A/T fluid

One thing I have to keep in mind is when I drain the old stuff, I'm assuming 2.5 quarts is going to come out. And I fill the 2.5 quarts of the new stuff. So having Honda ATF DW-1 mixed with the old stuff for a while? Shouldn't hurt too much right?
I think my transmission fluid isn't dirty right now. *Crosses fingers. Do we know what Honda ATF DW-1 has inside?

Last edited by plenum; 07-27-2019 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-27-2019, 06:39 PM

Thanks guys. ...
If not I'll try one of the two recommendations:
Valvoline synthetic ATF
I bought a '93 in great condition with high miles, so for my 1st oil change at 185,000 miles I decided to use Amsoil Synthetic motor oil because I had it in the garage. Ought to be very good I thought, after all ... I read the oil advertisements.

In less than 1000 miles it started an intermittent serious miss; at 1500 miles it stopped on the side of the road while car was loaned out. Oil (synthetic chemistry is to blame, my belief) had leaked past the O-ring seal into the distributor. So I recommend against switching high mileage cars to synthetic oil, with its different oil chemistry; just keep using the regular oil which the seals have gotten used to.

But for myself, I was a slow learner and I tried it again on a Nissan, exact same failure in less than 1000 miles! Two out of two, whee!

Old 07-28-2019, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by UhOh
I bought a '93 in great condition with high miles, so for my 1st oil change at 185,000 miles I decided to use Amsoil Synthetic motor oil because I had it in the garage. Ought to be very good I thought, after all ... I read the oil advertisements.

In less than 1000 miles it started an intermittent serious miss; at 1500 miles it stopped on the side of the road while car was loaned out. Oil (synthetic chemistry is to blame, my belief) had leaked past the O-ring seal into the distributor. So I recommend against switching high mileage cars to synthetic oil, with its different oil chemistry; just keep using the regular oil which the seals have gotten used to.

But for myself, I was a slow learner and I tried it again on a Nissan, exact same failure in less than 1000 miles! Two out of two, whee!
This is great that you brought this up. I just did a oil pan and gasket replacement. And I PUT IN!!!! Quaker state SAE 5W-30 High Mileage Syn Blend motor oil. Now I usually get a oil change at a cheap lube shop that puts in quaker state oil. But they never told me what exact brand they put in! Interesting enough I did some research and guess what, a lot of people say you shouldn't put synthetic brands in older cars. Because I'm dealing with oil leaks. Oil pan gasket replacement. That is the kicker! What a coincidence right? I'm going to call my lube shop and ask them. I still think I fixed the oil leak. But there is still minor oil leaks were I believe is coming from the camshaft and crankshaft seals!

Even though the oil I'm using is Syn blend motor oil. It's not Full Synthetic. But it still has some synthetic. What oil do you recommend I use? I'm going to do a oil change today! Wow! You are saving my car!

Update: They put in the correct oil. Conventional Quaker State 5W-30. I didn't although. I didn't run the car for very long. Still have to put in my exhaust. I'm wondering if I should do the oil change myself or have them do the oil change. I don't want to drive it there to ruin my car.

Last edited by plenum; 07-28-2019 at 01:14 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Honda Z-1 ATF was replaced by Honda DW-1 ATF around 2010. DW-1 is synthetic.

Old 07-28-2019, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Honda Z-1 ATF was replaced by Honda DW-1 ATF around 2010. DW-1 is synthetic.
I wonder if Z-1 ATF was more for older cars than. And when they went to the DW-1 ATF , they wanted a better design formula for their newer cars. Phasing out their older cars. And it's bad for 1990-1997 generation?

Old 07-30-2019, 09:23 AM

Since your Honda is pre 1994, Dexron VI should be OK. I would still consider Honda DW-1 fluid. Fluid is cheap. Transmission repairs are expensive.

Last edited by 75Gremlin; 07-30-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-30-2019, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by 75Gremlin
Since your Honda is pre 1994, Dexron VI should be OK. I would still consider Honda DW-1 fluid. Fluid is cheap. Transmission repairs are expensive.
Or IF you can find Honda Z-1 fluid, I'd go with that, since it's for older Hondas.

Quick Reply: Cant find Honda ATF DW1 Fluid in stores. For my 1993 Honda accord (auto trans)