General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Cant get clutch to bleed on CB

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 09:19 AM

There are no turkey basters out there that have an end small enough for a fuel hose to fit over. Whats killing me is that I have bled a completely bone dry system with junkyard components and it caught within an hour. I dont understand why this master cylinder wont do the same thing even though I bench bled the crap out of it before I put it in.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:21 AM

When the pedal is down and the bleed screw is open, it will trickle out and the reservoir will go empty. I havent let it go dry the entire time.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

It's not impossible for a new MC to be defective right out of the box...
Sounds like you've done everything; I'm running out of ideas.

When you bench-bled it, did it pump fluid in a strong stream?

Old 09-26-2010, 09:45 AM

Oh yea it actually shot fluid a good distance. I guess ill go pull that baby back out and cuss some more. Im just glad I have a universal for the top nut!

Old 09-26-2010, 10:36 AM

Ok I finally threw in the towel and said screw it, lets take out the master cylinder. Sure enough, the bastard was stuck in the "depressed" position, and the rod coming out of it was at a 45degree angle just wobbling around.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Does it pop back out where it should be & then start pumping? Or you gonna take it back & exchange?

Next time you put it in, adjust the pushrod so it's not pushing the MC piston at all, when the pedal is up at the correct height. I don't know if this can be related to pushing in the MC piston too far so it's stuck?

Old 09-26-2010, 08:38 PM

I exchanged it today. When I go to bleed it again I am going to adjust it so that it lines up with the brake pedal. Hopefully this will keep it from jamming up until I reach pressure. I dont know if this is normal but once I poured the brake fluid into bench bleed it, the fluid started running out of the outlet and I just used the little plug that it came with to stop the flow until I put the line back on. If it doesnt bleed this time, I am getting a refund and I will be forced to buy one from Honda. There is no reason for all of this.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

When you bench-bleed it, you used a hose from the outlet fitting back into the reservoir? When that vent is open the fluid should run through the MC (sounds like it did). That's how it should be when the piston is not pressed in at all. That's where the piston needs to be when the pedal is hooked up but not pressed down.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:08 PM

Well I installed the new m/c and had it bled in 30 minutes! She shifts better than before and 3rd gear quit grinding!

Old 09-28-2010, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

Nice! Thanks for letting us know.

Quick Reply: Cant get clutch to bleed on CB