General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car Groans When Turning

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 08:03 AM
Default Car Groans When Turning

Hey all,

This winter hasn't been nice to my '94 Accord LX and she's started to groan pretty loudly when turning. I'm pretty sure it only happens when I turn right and comes from the passenger side. Also, the sound is about as loud when I turn slow and fast.

Here's a list of repairs done to my car prior to the winter:

- replaced left axle and upper control arm
- replaced left and right sway bar links
- replaced front brake calipers and pads

Any idea what might be going on? I'm guessing it might be the right control arm?

Old 03-11-2015, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Is the noise from engine compartment or suspension?

Power steering can make groaning noises due to low PS fluid or air leaking into PS fluid on suction intake side of pump.

If noise is from suspension, you need to isolate source of noise to find the fault. You can get someone to turn wheel while you listen/feel at the wheel for the noise. Suspension ball jts can make groaning/popping noise when grease has dried out.

good luck

Old 03-11-2015, 10:36 AM

I'm quite certain that the noise is coming from the suspension since it sounds very mechanical. Given your diagnosis, is it safe to assume that replacing the upper control arm on the passenger side will solve this issue?

Old 03-11-2015, 04:31 PM

No, noise could be lower BJ, inner and/or outer tie-rod BJ's. Some diagnostics indicated to locate defective part.

good luck

Old 03-12-2015, 11:28 AM

I see. A couple of questions:

1) Will it be a safety hazard if I don't get this fixed? I'm looking to drive the car for (hopefully) one more winter before I can afford a new ride.

2) Is this a repair that I can safely DIY (special tools needed)?

Thanks again.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:02 PM

1. If it is a dry BJ component it is not replaced then yes it is a safety hazzard.

2. For most people the upper BJ control arm assembly, the lower BJ and outer tie rod can be a DIY with the lower BJ requiring more skill. The inner tie rod end is the least likely of the sounds, but if it is it requires more skill to replace. Before continuing a conversation on tools, you need to locate the source of the sound. Also, if it is a tie rod end you should also plan on getting an alignment after work is complete.

Old 03-12-2015, 12:15 PM

Thanks for the reply. I plan to get an alignment done anyway, so at least that's covered.

TexasHonda suggested having "someone to turn wheel while you listen/feel at the wheel for the noise". Should I do this with the car stationary, jacked up, or moving slowly? As for pinpointing the exact source of the groaning/creaking, how should I go about doing so?

Thanks.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:49 PM

Put the whole front end up on jacks and have someone slowly turn the wheel. A length of hose held to the joint and the other end to your ear will help if sound is hard to hear. If the lower ball joints have never been replaced do them anyway! The lower joints often weaker on the joint shaft, so even if there is no play in the joint the shaft can still snap which is really dangerous. Off the record, the lower joint if dry is usually the one that groans anyway because it is the one with the weight on it, but check all.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:28 AM

Noise may not appear when wheels are lifted. You can reach around the tire to feel/listen to the BJ's and bushings.

good luck

Old 03-13-2015, 04:34 PM

Okay... So it's warmer now and the groaning is completely gone... Any thoughts? (Everything I've read thus far points to power steering fluid, but I've ascertained that this isn't the issue).

Last edited by cukaracha; 03-13-2015 at 04:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Car Groans When Turning