General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car not starting after throttle body cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 03:31 PM
Default Car not starting after throttle body cleaning

Background: I'm brand new to cars and I try not to touch anything that I don't know about. I drive a '98 Honda Accord EX, I've had it for less than a year. I bought it used on Craigslist and I don't know what kind of maintenance needs to be done on it.

tl;dr version: Car was idling very low so I cleaned the throttle body. Now it doesn't start.

This is what happens when I turn the key
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t=100_0018.mp4

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Since I've had my car I've had a problem with the gas pedal sticking/the car idling very rough. (I noticed more recently that it gets worse when I have my AC on.)
After lots of Google-ing I read that it would probably help to clean the throttle body. After months of putting it off I finally decided earlier this week that I'd finally do it.

It seemed easy enough, spray with throttle body cleaner and wipe, right?
Well, not so much.
After I was all done and re-connected the air duct hose and everything, I started the car in what, I guess, is called "clear flood mode" (pushed the gas pedal down and turned the key).

Everything seemed alright. I had read that the car would have trouble starting up at first. It made some loud noises, I guess the kind of noises the car usually makes when you're pressing on the gas and it's still in Park, but after a little while it stopped (btw, I wasn't sure how long I was supposed to be pressing the gas, maybe I'd pressed it too long? Not long enough?)

So then I took my foot off the pedal and tried to start the car.
Click.
Nothing.
I've tried several times and still nothing.

I did another search to see what I could find, it is a possibility that I used too much throttle body cleaner and flooded my engine.

I also thought of the possibility that my battery had died and it was just bad timing, but my radio and AC and everything still works, plus my friend tried jump starting it just to make sure.

My CEL is on like it had been even before this incident. I have an OBD2 scanner and decided to check if it would give me a different code than before (last time it gave me 1259 - VTEC System Malfunction <= That post sounds similar to my situation).
This time it gave me 1359 - CKP/TDC sensor disconnection (According to the Hayne's manual)
I would check to see if that sensor was disconnected, but I don't actually know where it is located.
I'm not sure if it's even related to my problem at all.

So anyway, I only know tiny bits and pieces about cars. If anyone can help me out tonight, that would be great! If not, I guess I'll take it (er, have it towed) to a mechanic tomorrow morning. I haven't driven in two and a half days and can't wait very much longer.

Last edited by NemoTeacup; 04-21-2012 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Added video
Old 04-20-2012, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

How much throttle body cleaner did you use approximately? Usually they have a pretty high alcohol/ethanol content so they evaporate pretty quickly.

Also could you describe what noises it made better? Like banging noises?

I believe on your engine the TDC/CKP is located by the timing belt, so I'm not sure how cleaning the throttle body could effect this.

Does it sound like the starter is trying to turn the engine?

How much time has passed since you did this, and have you tried again?

Old 04-20-2012, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

It may be flooded and/or the throttle body is sticking. With your hand, pull the throttle body cable a few times. Then try to start the car by pushing down on the gas pedal a little and turning the ignition switch.

For the P1359, look for an electrical connector near the oil dipstick tube.

Last edited by redbull-1; 04-20-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:00 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Did you disconnect any electric conectors? I always disconnect the one on top of the Throttle body when cleaning it. Sometimes i forget to plug it back in

Old 04-21-2012, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You need to be very clear about details your problem.

Is the starter engaging and turning the engine or absolute silence? Do you hear a loud click from starter but no engine turnover.

Is engine turning over, but not catching to run?

good luck

Old 04-21-2012, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
You need to be very clear about details your problem.

Is the starter engaging and turning the engine or absolute silence? Do you hear a loud click from starter but no engine turnover.

Is engine turning over, but not catching to run?

good luck
+1, my "reading" of this is that the starter is not spinning the engine?

Old 04-21-2012, 03:07 PM

If it helps, here's a video of what happens when I turn the key:

100_0018.mp4 video by SpongeFreak - Photobucket

There's a click then (you can't really hear in the video) a very faint whirring noise. That's all I hear.

All the electrical connections look good to me. I didn't disconnect anything before cleaning. Is there anything I might've possibly knocked loose?

I probably used more cleaner than necessary, but I don't think was a ridiculous amount, I probably sprayed about three times, holding down two seconds each and a little bit on the rag itself.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:10 PM

The noise I heard initially was kind of a loud revving noise, which I assumed was normal since I was on the gas when starting up.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:12 PM

Btw, in that video I turned the key at least three times, foot not on the gas pedal.

I would've made a video with my foot on the gas as well but it's the exact same result either way.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:36 PM

Here's another thing that may or may not be related (and possibly support the "I knocked an electrical connection loose" theory)

When I lock my car I hit the lock button and my door lock but when I hit it a second time the car does not beep (when, usually, it would).
I didn't think much of it and the beep came back. (I first noticed this three days ago. The next day was when it beeped again.)

Just now my car alarm started going off for no reason. After it stopped I locked my car again and it's gone back to not beeping.

Quick Reply: Car not starting after throttle body cleaning