General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car shaking while driving!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 03:43 PM
Default Car shaking while driving!

I am new to this page..

I have a 1997 Honda Accord 2.2lt V-tec 4cylinder..

Recently my car shakes, including steering wheel, while driving down the road.. about 50-60mph. It feels like it is only on one side of my car, the left, front passenger side.. I changed the rotor and it helped a little bit.. Mine is where the rotor is behind the hub.. I was in need of some news tires but didn't have the money at the time to replace all four so i only got one used tire and it was put on the back due to a bent rim.. it continued to shake.. Well i finally got brand new tires last week. Got them put on and it drove okay, no loud sound like before.. but it's still shaking.. worse than before at that speed ( 50-60mph ) it's really frustrating trying to figure out what could be the problem, also once finding out what it may be money is an issue as well.. when i got those new tires put on the guy was supposed to balance them along with the mounting.. I've been reading posts all over where it could be tires unbalanced, tire rods, cv joints, wheel bearings, axle, alinement, rotors, etc ... Just looking for someone to point me in the right direction of what to do and how to check everything properly before i buy anything and put it in the shop.. i like to learn about my car!

Old 07-09-2014, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

You only need to create one help thread on the issue. I deleted the other 2 identical threads.

Welcome to the forum.

Old 07-09-2014, 03:59 PM

Oh okay! i wasn't sure, Thanks!

Old 07-10-2014, 11:26 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Welcome.
well, here's a long version for a new learner/member.

1. shakes about 30 mph = bent wheel
2. shakes about 60 = tire out of balance,
3. if steering wheel shakes on braking = warped rotors in front
4. bumps always, right from the get-go, feeling like a small flat spot in tire = defective tire with bulge in tread

If 1 or 2 is on the rear, driver frequently can't feel it.

Since you just bought 3 new tires w/mounting last week, just go back to the shop and politely complain about shaking with their tires.
The shop will fix it or diagnose it for free. Describe prior history if asked. If diagnosed as a mechanical problem,
ask to look at it while the car is up in the air.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:08 PM

I actually have all 4 brand new tires..the one i mentioned was just a used tire..i had a tire that was becoming very bald and i didnt trust it..but today i stopped by a gas station just check the air in the tires..and they were all off..so i tried to put the same amount in all of them and once i started driving the of 50-60mph it was better with hardly any shaking..but it still does it..also what amount of air needs to be in my tires for my car? I did notice before putting new tires on that my front tires wore more in the inside than the middle or outside..what could be causing that? I also have a noise under my car in the front where everytime i hit a bump ( small or big ) it sounds like something is loose or something..any ideas on that? And.. i recently replaced my radiator and cooling fan because if i was at an idle for a few mins it would start to run hot but i wouldnt let it get past the line between cold and hot but once i started moving it it would go back down.. well even after changing the radiator and cooling fan it still will occasionally start to run hot..i also changed the thermostat prior to changing the others months before.. any idea what else could be making it run hot ?

Old 07-10-2014, 02:10 PM

I know i have asked a lot of questions but i like to learn bout my car and how to fix it whether its on my own or having someone else do it. I thank you taking the time to answer my questions.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

1. Tire pressure information is on a sticker on the driver's side door jamb. For a 4 cylinder, the recommended pressure (measured cold) is 32 psi (front), 29 psi (rear). Spare tire 60 psi (should be checked; but, less frequently. So, it is okay if you ever have a flat).

2. Did have the wheel alignment checked? That can cause tires to wear excessively on the inside.

3. For the cooling issue. When you turn on the A/C, does both radiator fan and A/C condenser fan run strongly?

How is the coolant level in the radiator and the separate reservoir. Check when cool down to avoid scalding yourself, as the system is pressurized when hot.

Attached Thumbnails Car shaking while driving!-tire-information-sticker.jpg