General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car will not respond to remote key, will not enter programming mode

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 08:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Car will not respond to remote key, will not enter programming mode

Basically, my 03 coupe will not respond to any of my three remote keys. All three remotes show that little red light when I press any of the buttons so I think the batteries are okay. The remotes worked one morning, then when I got it back from the shop the same day, none worked. The cabin controls still operate the locks.

I've tried re-programming them, but I suspect the car isn't receiving a signal at all because I cannot even access the programming mode. Despite the On, remote lock, off process (repeated dozens of times), the doors will not cycle telling me I'm in programming mode.

Before you say check the remote batteries: I didn't know that little screw that held the key halves together was loctite'd in so I've stripped the screws, leaving me unable to swap batteries until I get a screw puller. However, the little red light turns on when I press any of the buttons, so that makes me think the batteries are still okay

If you need anymore background info: my driver side window got stuck completely open. I figured the window regulator was shot since the passenger side still operated. My dad took it to the dealer one morning before I could start working on it myself. He brought it back home and when I went to drive it later that day, the remotes would not operate the doors, windows, trunk, nor the alarm.

I have no idea what the dealership's tech did so I have no clue where to look. All the tech did was push the window back up, he did not replace the regulator (window still does not move, it's just stuck closed now; biggest waste of $100 ever), so I don't know how he could have reset anything.

I'm thinking the problem is either a bad remote receiver (where is located?) or bad fuse (which one?). But any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance! and sorry for the long post

Old 05-29-2012, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

betcha he disconnected the drivers master switch in a way that you could not operate the drivers window. it's also the receiver for the multiplex controller. you'll need to get the window fixed or reconnect the switch and resist the urge to put down the window.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Fix the window switch problem first.

But, here is info. regarding trying to remove the stripped screw head. It happened to me before. This attached pic. has the info. You don't need the temperature indicator crayon if you are very careful or have an infrared heat temp. gun.

Honda does recommend JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) #0 screwdriver for that screw. JIS type screwdrivers can be the difference between easily removing it vs. stripping the head. The dealership usually stock the replacement screw, as it does commonly happen.

Attached Thumbnails Car will not respond to remote key, will not enter programming mode-stripped-screw-head.jpg  
Old 05-29-2012, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

The window regulator may be bad. The tech probably just raised the window and fixed in position, then may have just left the master switch/multiplexer unplugged like what Dr. D said. You can take a quick look to see what he might have done.

How to remove 2003-2007 Honda Accord 4 Door Window Master Switch - YouTube

Old 05-29-2012, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

I would disconnect the negative terminal of the battery to reset the multiplex system. This will erase your preset stations on your radio. You will also have to enter in the code for your radio.

A lot of the troubleshooting is done using the Honda-specific scanner.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:15 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I've checked the master switch, it looks fine as far as I can tell. No wires hanging loose out of the main connector, both connections (windows/locks and power mirrors) are solid. The master switch does send power to the locks, windows, and mirrors but still no responses from the remotes. The locks will lock and unlock, the mirrors move, the passenger window goes down and up, and the driver window makes clicking noises like it's sending power, but the window doesn't move which makes me think the regulator is in fact bad. I'll try and get it replaced as soon as I can. The dealer wants around $330 for just one regulator replacement, I figure I can buy the part and do it myself for at least half that, I just have to find the time.

I just got back from disconnecting the battery. I read somewhere to try and touch the connections (off of the battery of course) to discharge all of the capacitors and what not. The radio did reset, but still no luck on programming my keys. The little red light on the remote means it's functioning properly right? Not low battery?

Edit: found the reciept with a quick description of the work done. "Tech got window to work. Motor has dead spot, window left closed to prevent it from getting stuck open again."

Last edited by dannyrl; 05-29-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

he may have unplugged it at the motor itself???

Old 05-29-2012, 11:59 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I'm not sure, I took the door panel off earlier today to make sure there weren't any disconnected wires back there, and everything seemed okay. Put it back together, master switch works fine.

But just to clarify, what I'm trying to figure out is why my remotes won't work.

I can deal with having shut windows for now, but I'm not understanding what my window regulator/motor has to do with my remotes not working. If it is a remote battery issue, it would be a weird coincidence that all three remotes died at the same time...

Old 05-30-2012, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

See the attached info. and see if you notice the same things.

Attached Thumbnails Car will not respond to remote key, will not enter programming mode-keyless-entry.jpg  
Old 05-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Nope, neither of those apply. Cabin lights turn off, and dashboard registers all doors closed. Key tone does not beep when the key is removed.

I read a troubleshooting thread somewhere on multiplexers, and they complained about flickering dashboard lights. My car does the same occasionally (not so much right now after I disconnected and reconnected the battery), but I was never really bothered by it. But if my multiplexer is going bad, would my remote issue possibly be related to it? And I can't seem to find replacement ones in case I do have to go in and swap it.

Last edited by dannyrl; 05-30-2012 at 10:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Car will not respond to remote key, will not enter programming mode