General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Car will not respond to remote key, will not enter programming mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 07:48 PM

Did anyone every solve this issue? I can't seem to get my keys to work either or get my vehicle into programming mode. I have a 06 Accord Coupe.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

If the driver's master switch still properly operates the door locks by using the switches; but, cannot operate them with the remote transmitter, it is more likely an issue with the driver's door multiplex control unit (mcu) (which is incorporated into the master switch).

When you use switches from the driver's master switch, all lock and unlock commands from this switch are communicated across the multiplex communication line (i.e., a one wire B-Can communication line) to the multiplex integrated control unit (micu) located in the under-dash fuse/relay box. According to the switch request, the micu located in the under-dash fuse box, directly operates the power supply and the grounding signals to the reversible electric door lock motors for lock and unlock modes. Inserting the key into the driver’s key cylinder switch and turning the key one time will unlock the driver’s door. Turning the key a second time will unlock all the doors. This is a multiplex controlled response.

The receiver antenna for the keyless system is located in the power window master switch (door multiplex control unit). It uses the same one wire B-Can communication line to communicate to the MICU in the under-dash fuse box.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
If the driver's master switch still properly operates the door locks by using the switches; but, cannot operate them with the remote transmitter, it is more likely an issue with the driver's door multiplex control unit (mcu) (which is incorporated into the master switch).

When you use switches from the driver's master switch, all lock and unlock commands from this switch are communicated across the multiplex communication line (i.e., a one wire B-Can communication line) to the multiplex integrated control unit (micu) located in the under-dash fuse/relay box. According to the switch request, the micu located in the under-dash fuse box, directly operates the power supply and the grounding signals to the reversible electric door lock motors for lock and unlock modes. Inserting the key into the driver’s key cylinder switch and turning the key one time will unlock the driver’s door. Turning the key a second time will unlock all the doors. This is a multiplex controlled response.

The receiver antenna for the keyless system is located in the power window master switch (door multiplex control unit). It uses the same one wire B-Can communication line to communicate to the MICU in the under-dash fuse box.
Thanks for the quick reply Red, I appreciate it.
So at this point it sounds like its an MCU issue, I looked up references online of the part and location. Is that a quick swap and done? or is it a complex and complicated process?

What would you recommend? Aftermarket or Genuine Honda alarm system.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

1. The replacement of the driver's door mcu is an easy swap. See video:

Afterward, you have to reprogram the transmitters. These instruction in this service bulletin should be the same for your 2006:

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...252098-011.pdf

You may also have to do a reset procedure to get the driver's door multiplex control unit to communicate correctly with the MICU under the dash for the auto function for the power windows.

2. In regards to adding an alarm, you probably will get better functionality, features and price with a quality aftermarket security system.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:01 PM

Thanks for the reply Red, again I appreciate the time and effort. After consideration I did go with the aftermarket system. Viper 5706V to be exact and everything works flawless now and have new added feature like remote start and new sensors. So in the end I felt that's a better investment than the MCU.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Good to hear your resolution was just using an aftermarket keyless security as the workaround.

Just a heads-up; sometimes (not every car), the same driver's door mcu can be faulty to cause your passenger windows to not work.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:32 PM
Cool Keyless entry problem Accord 2004

I have an accord 2004, i tried 100 remotes with correct frequency and no one worked.

doors open and close using the buttons and i have the back 2 windows not working. in addition to the automatic of my left front window but when i close the car with the key it closes without a problem and flashes as well to confirm its shut off.

a remote worked for only one day and not again.

what to do ?