General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Catalytic Converter Installation Location

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2023, 09:40 PM
Default Catalytic Converter Installation Location

Hello,
My catalytic converter was stolen two years ago and I'm trying to have the California referee certify an aftermarket catalytic converter. The mechanic replaced the one installed two years ago with an approved aftermarket catalytic converter, but when I took it in for the inspection at the referee center, they said the part was not installed within 3 inches of the original location. They provided a diagram with highlights, but the mechanic says it is installed in the correct location so he won't move it unless they tell him where it should be moved for approval. I do plan to go visit the referee station to see if they can confirm the location, but I wanted to get a separate opinion as a backup. I have attached photos that I happened to take before taking it in to the mechanic as he still has the car. I normally take the car in to the dealership, but this was a AAA mechanic that I could get a tow to through their app at the time.

Thank you,
Charles
2001 Honda Accord EX 2.3L AT

Diagram provided by the referee with two highlighter lines the referee expects to be matched within 3 inches.

Old 08-17-2023, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not sure where the referee is getting the information on the converter location. That installation looks correct although I can't verify by pictures that it is within 3 inches.

That highlighted shield does not go over the entire converter up to the flex pipe, so I believe your converter is in the correct location and the inspection center is wrong.

Here is youtube video of someone removing and OEM converter.