General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

CEL and timing issues-can shop fix?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2021, 12:02 AM
Default CEL and timing issues-can shop fix?

2012 Honda Accord ~160K mi.

So I got a check engine light, code P0341 and took it into the local shop. They did a basic diagnostic and said basically, to take it to the dealer, they can't do the detailed diagnostic or the work because they don't have the equipment for those types of engine timing tasks and the Honda dealer will. They think it's a VVT solenoid or a stretched timing chain.

So, I prefer not to go to a dealer. If I take it to a little bit of a higher end shop that specizlizes in Japanese cars, will they have the right equipment and tools to diagnose a VVT and timing chain? It seems odd to me that not any shop can fix that. But I do want to take it to a decent place where they will diagnose it right and can fix it properly. Like I said, I prefer not to take it to the dealer but will if I have to. Does the dealer really have that much better equipment than everybody else?

Last edited by killykole; 09-16-2021 at 12:11 AM.
Old 09-16-2021, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

The P0341 is for out of phase crank and camshaft signal. They are correct that it can be a stretched timing chain or maybe the VVT.

You can look for highly rated shops that specialize in Japanese or foreign cars. Call them to tell them your code and what the previous shop said. Then ask if they can do the diagnosis and repair on your car.

Old 09-22-2021, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
The P0341 is for out of phase crank and camshaft signal. They are correct that it can be a stretched timing chain or maybe the VVT.

You can look for highly rated shops that specialize in Japanese or foreign cars. Call them to tell them your code and what the previous shop said. Then ask if they can do the diagnosis and repair on your car.
They say it's the timing chain and actuator. Solenoid too.

Does anybody know how difficult of a job this is? The dealer's price is ridiculous. I looked online and it doesn't look like a crazy difficult job. Not that I can do it.

But it seems like any skilled mechanic should be able to do it. I'm not sure why the first shop told me what they did. I'm thinking of taking it to a middle of the road mechanic, decent enough mechanic.

Any opinions?

Old 09-23-2021, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

You need to get the addressed soon, because a stretched timing chain will eventually get to the point of skipping timing teeth or breaking. If this happens, you will have cylinder head damage and will be very expensive to fix.

You'll have to shop around for a reputable shop, because the tools required are not special tools. I'm not sure why the first shop can't do this repair.