General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Check Engine Light question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 10:17 PM
Default Check Engine Light question

Hi guys--been awhile. My cars CEL is on and I have not had a chance to have it coded yet, but when I jump the #8 and #13 ports of the OBDII connector, I get what appears to be 9 long flashes. That does not relate to anything V6 in my Haynes manual. I may be able to borrow a code scanner soon, but in the meantime--any help is appreciated. I have already done searches and reading.

I have erased the code a couple times and it keeps coming back. No running problems at all. 146,000 kms on clock.
Thanks

Old 01-18-2008, 11:56 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Check Engine Light question

I would take it to AutoZone and have them read the code. The readout will have P####.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:25 AM

Non in Canada that I am aware of. But there are probably some shops here that will do that. But for now, I am more concerned about interpreting the built in code flashing( just as a curiosity) I will, however, report the code as soon as I have it read. Thanks

Old 01-19-2008, 10:24 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

9 long flashes = code 90. That's an evap system code. First thing to check is the gas cap being tightened 3 clicks.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:21 AM

Hey, I just finished talking about this with my neighbour and he said exactly the same thing. It is code 90. Took me a minute to get my head around that, but now it makes sense and I have already lubricated the gas tank filler cover seal. We will see what happens.
Thanks for your response.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:39 AM

reset the ecu so the code goes away (be sure you have your stereo security code if it's still the stock deck) then tighten down the gas cap and see what happens.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:49 PM

it may not be gap cap though. 90 = p1456(evap system tank leak caused by loose gas cap 95% of the time) or p1457(evap system canister leak caused by a multitude of problems such as aproblem with the pcs or vacuum lines, cvs valve, canister itself or bypass valve to name a few)

Old 01-23-2008, 10:45 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I managed to borrow a code reader and I got P1457. So, as was already stated, it can be a multitude of things. I put the car up on ramps and got under to check everything that I could see near the cannister. I relieved the pressure and undid the two quick disconnects but saw no problem there. Also checked all other connections that I could see. I removed a couple of sensor connections and cleaned them as best I could. Could not get the top one though.
So, I called it quits and so far, have not removed the code from the computer. I think I read where it will go away itself if the fault is not detected for 3 consequetive runs.
Other than that, what is the recommended order of steps here???
Thanks again

Old 01-23-2008, 01:23 PM

Make sure the gas cap is tightened at leat 3 clicks, then pull the backup/radio fuse from underhood fuse box (make sure you have the radio code if it is an EX model and has the stock unit). This will reset the code. To my knowledge, it will not go away on its own. it has to be reset.

Old 01-23-2008, 04:42 PM

Yes, I did the fuel filler cap thing quite early in this problem. I have also been doing quite a bit of reading from the point of view from the OBDII use. Here is an excerp from one of the sites:
If the Onboard Diagnostic System detects a leak in the EVAP system, it will set a code and turn on the Check Engine Light. In this case, the code P0445 may be due to nothing more than a loose, missing, or leaky gas gap. Check that the gas cap is tight. If it’s not loose, check the seal between the cap and the filler tube for corrosion. If you’ve corrected the problem, the EVAP code will go away, and the Check Engine Light will turn off, without having to clear the code. This will happen the next time the onboard diagnostic system runs a self-check on the EVAP system. This usually occurs after the vehicle sits overnight and the fuel tank is between 1/4 and 3/4 full.

In my case, the code is related to the cannister portion of the evap system, so looks like something deeper is required.

I will see what happens to the CEL after a couple days.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light question