General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

The check engine light is on, where do I start?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Default RE: The check engine light is on, where do I start?!

Are there any dangers running the car like this?

Old 06-27-2007, 04:32 PM

So it says in the manual to remove this fuse for 13 seconds to reset something. Will that do anything do you think or for sure something needs to be replaced?

Old 06-27-2007, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

No danger running the car with a code stored; but there will be a performance difference because the computer will run in default/limp mode.
Yes it is a good idea to remove the backup fuse and reset the ECU to see if the same problem happens.
No big problem changing a dist. 3-12mm bolts and a good phillips screwdriver, if you have to swap out ignitor. The shaft of the disthas anoffset tabso you can't install it wrong.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:34 PM

hondadude thanks for the help! its so hard to find time to do all this car stuff (especially when you live in an APT and don't have a garage :-\ ) I'll have time to do this friday night or saturday night or sunday. I'll keep you posted.

Old 06-27-2007, 09:54 PM

to avoid starting a new thread, heres another thing...

Before any of this started happening, when it gets hot out her car won't start. It will turn over as much as you want to let it, but will not fire up. If you go to start it, then wait sometimes 20 min, it will start.

Old 06-27-2007, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Distributor shaft... Yes, the blade is off-center, but if you get it backwards you CAN hammer it into place. DON'T force it. It should slide nicely into place.

Hot cabin = no start... Search for 'main relay' for descriptions. Probably something good in the DIY section, too. It's located sorta above driver's kick panel. Faulty solder joints go open when they're hot, then the fuel pump doesn't run.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:32 PM

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

Distributor shaft... Yes, the blade is off-center, but if you get it backwards you CAN hammer it into place. DON'T force it. It should slide nicely into place.

Hot cabin = no start... Search for 'main relay' for descriptions. Probably something good in the DIY section, too. It's located sorta above driver's kick panel. Faulty solder joints go open when they're hot, then the fuel pump doesn't run.
Awesome. Searched and found a good walkthrough for the main relay fix. Otherwise i have no idea what your first sentences are saying.

Old 06-30-2007, 01:21 PM

So i did the main relay fix and now her car starts in very hot weather which is good. I took apart this thing that I thought was the backup fuse but I don't know. It was this small yellow box that was screwed onto the left side of the engine bay (as if you are looking into the engine bay from the front of the car). But I opened it up and it just had some whitish goo in it but i didn't see a fuse. Was this the right thing? The check engine light went off for about 20 starts....

Old 07-03-2007, 06:40 AM

Was that the right thing to unplug?