General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Civic Is Overall Better Then A Accord?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Civic Is Overall Better Then A Accord?

ORIGINAL: blacknight07644

I always wondered taht about Acuras also.
Why do they require premium gas on Naturally Aspirated cars.
Most cars that are turbo.super charged require premium gas
Probably higher compression? That would cause less stable (87 octane) gas to self-ignite easier than more stable (91 or 93 octane) gas.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Accord Owner

I have heard that the Accord has A/C problems in the long run, is this true?
I never had an A/C problem after 13 years in my 5th gen, ice cold after 9 years in my 6th gen. If you don't circulate the oil in the refrigerant often enough it can cause the system to leak and cause a pressure drop in the system (bad). This is true for any A/C system, automotive, commercial or residential using R-134a, R-22 or some -400 and -500 level refrigerants.

I don't understand why you bought an Accord and then ask a bunch of nit-picky questions about it. You'd think if you paid for the car, you'd want to drive it and be fully happy with it. If Honda and the Accord name had no meaning behind it I wouldn't have bought another one. The simplest factor that makes a Honda luxury are in terms of reliability and performance for your dollar, not the car that has a system to parallel park for you or detect when you're too close to another car, that's just laziness. If you experience any trouble with your Accord or are not happy with it, it will most likely lead back to the fact that you bought an Accord with a rebuilt salvaged title and tried to justify it with a clean Carfax report. I'm not trying to be rude, but most of us on here take pride in owning "Jap-crap ricers" because they earn their price tag in the long run. Sorry if that offended you at all.

On the note of refrigerants, did you know that production of R-22 (the most common commercial refrigerant) and other HFC-type refrigerants are going to be cut down 75% in the next few years and then cut down to 0.5%?

Old 05-15-2008, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

ANY engine can be optimized for higher or lower 'octane' by changing the compression ratio, spark maps, etc.

It's partlya marketing decision to put a hotter engine in one car rather than another. Higher compression ratios & things like that can get more HP from the same displacement, but require higher 'octane'. Turbo isn't the only reason.

And YES, the S2000 is Hondas BEST ABSOLUTE CAR IN THE UNIVERSE. Unless you have to sit in the back seat or put a bicycle rack on the roof.
oh wait, no... The Accord is the best. Unless you want to drop the convertible roof.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:47 PM

ORIGINAL: JimBlake

And YES, the S2000 is Hondas BEST ABSOLUTE CAR IN THE UNIVERSE. Unless you have to sit in the back seat or put a bicycle rack on the roof.
oh wait, no... The Accord is the best. Unless you want to drop the convertible roof.
I think a hard-top Accord would have some selling potential... like the new Jetta convertibles.

Performance-wise the S2k is at the top of the list. For the normal driver I'd say the Accord. Perfect size, perfect power, perfect gas mileage; it's a well-rounded vehicle.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:57 PM

ORIGINAL: finch13

ORIGINAL: Accord Owner

I have heard that the Accord has A/C problems in the long run, is this true?
I never had an A/C problem after 13 years in my 5th gen, ice cold after 9 years in my 6th gen. If you don't circulate the oil in the refrigerant often enough it can cause the system to leak and cause a pressure drop in the system (bad). This is true for any A/C system, automotive, commercial or residential using R-134a, R-22 or some -400 and -500 level refrigerants.

I don't understand why you bought an Accord and then ask a bunch of nit-picky questions about it. You'd think if you paid for the car, you'd want to drive it and be fully happy with it. If Honda and the Accord name had no meaning behind it I wouldn't have bought another one. The simplest factor that makes a Honda luxury are in terms of reliability and performance for your dollar, not the car that has a system to parallel park for you or detect when you're too close to another car, that's just laziness. If you experience any trouble with your Accord or are not happy with it, it will most likely lead back to the fact that you bought an Accord with a rebuilt salvaged title and tried to justify it with a clean Carfax report. I'm not trying to be rude, but most of us on here take pride in owning "Jap-crap ricers" because they earn their price tag in the long run. Sorry if that offended you at all.

On the note of refrigerants, did you know that production of R-22 (the most common commercial refrigerant) and other HFC-type refrigerants are going to be cut down 75% in the next few years and then cut down to 0.5%?

I have been driving Honda since 1998. First car Acura Integra RS, then a 1996 Honda Accord LX.

I am not a technician so I don't know much about cars and that is why I am here. I am very happy with my car! I just want to learn about it. I almost bought a Jetta and was tired of the Accord.

Unforunately I was sold a title of Rebuilt Salvage but I have not had trouble since I bought it last July. I am trying to find out what was wrong with it? I am guessing flood damage? It has all VIN stickers. Carfax report was clean also.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:01 PM

Is this website biased on Accord?

People talk good stuff about Accord.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:02 PM

What if I were at the honda civic forums. would I get bashed?

Old 05-15-2008, 10:08 PM

most people are tolerable with cars, not everyone is out there to bash people, but getting people all worked up over a little thing like this, such as me saying luxury and you saying "WHEN DID THE ACCORD BECOME LUXURY" I meant in comparison to the civic, given that is what the subject is on. There are many things that could give your car a salvage title, depending on where you bought it, flood damage could be a good option, if it doesnt look like alot of damage structurally to the frame itself, not just exterior body panels. Example would be damage to the front engine support beam or what appears to be repairs to it. I GIVE YOU A PAT ON THE BACK FOR NOT BUYING A VW, EVER LOOK AT A WIRING DIAGRAM FOR THOSE? ITS LIKE A MAZE LEADING YOU INTO A BLACK HOLE! DRINK A FEW 6 PACKS AND IT ALL MAKES SENSE! LOL

Old 05-15-2008, 10:18 PM

ORIGINAL: poff1986

most people are tolerable with cars, not everyone is out there to bash people, but getting people all worked up over a little thing like this, such as me saying luxury and you saying "WHEN DID THE ACCORD BECOME LUXURY" I meant in comparison to the civic, given that is what the subject is on. There are many things that could give your car a salvage title, depending on where you bought it, flood damage could be a good option, if it doesnt look like alot of damage structurally to the frame itself, not just exterior body panels. Example would be damage to the front engine support beam or what appears to be repairs to it. I GIVE YOU A PAT ON THE BACK FOR NOT BUYING A VW, EVER LOOK AT A WIRING DIAGRAM FOR THOSE? ITS LIKE A MAZE LEADING YOU INTO A BLACK HOLE! DRINK A FEW 6 PACKS AND IT ALL MAKES SENSE! LOL
Why do I need to worry about wiring? I am not a technician. I have a friend that has a body shop and is genius with cars, he can fix anything with any vehicles.

If you saw my car, it would look brand new! no exterior damage, nothing wrong with parts. my friend who is technician checked it out, its flawless, except 1 tire was about to blow up, not a big deal. looks like the previous owner was a smoker so it has some holes interior on seats.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:27 PM

dude take a chill pilll....................................[:'(]

Quick Reply: Civic Is Overall Better Then A Accord?