General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Clicking near fuse box 87 accord dx

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Can you also tell us the number of wires and wire colors going to this relay?

Old 07-10-2016, 07:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I'm super bad at computer stuff but I hope this helps. This is the "silver relay" I was talking about that clicks. From what I gather, it has nothing to do with the fuel pump. Sorry for bad quality pics etc..

http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/Yeal_Greg/library/Mobile%20Uploads

Old 07-10-2016, 07:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I figured out by your reply that the "main relay" the auto store gave me was for a fuel injected model. The silver relay that's clicking is under the hood. Sorry for the confusion.

Originally Posted by poorman212
Again, if you could take a picture and give a bit of detail about the location we might be able to help with what relay you are hearing.

The relay in the link you posted does not control the fuel pump. That is relay in your link is actually under the hood of the car.

I don't want to come off as an "a hole" but I think the only combination of 3rd gen (86-89) Accord I have not owned and worked on is the 3 door ones.

For grins I even went outside and looked under the drivers dash of the 89 LXi (fuel injected) Accord I still have trying to find a "silver relay"....didn't find one.

The "main relay" on the FI cars, is located above and to the left of the fuse box. Pull the coin holder thing to the left of the steering wheel. Look through that opening to the left (fender) and up.

This is a pic I took of the one on the 89 LXi outside. In the pic you can't really see the main relay but you can see the wire connector going into it. For perspective, that black cable starting from the lower left is the hood release cable.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator

The link says the picture is "private" and doesn't show me anything.

Let try this a different way.......are you sure power to the pump is being "lost"? With a carb car, the fuel in the bowl will allow the car to run at idle for a few minutes is the pump stops. You could tap into the power side of the pump and run a piece of wire to a light inside the car.......when it acts up is the light on? Have you replaced BOTH fuel filters....one under the hood by the brake booster and the other is in the rear behind the drivers rear tire.

Again, just trying to figure out IF this is a fuel issue or maybe something else.....something in the ignition system.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:24 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I know that power is being lost to the pump when it dies bc I have my back seat out and the service cap off so I can hear it all times. It starts when I turn the ignition and the pump engages. Not 100% That It Is A Pump Issue but that's Were I started and I didn't replace the back filter yet, I'll pick one up today.

When it gives me trouble it sounds like power to the pump is fluctuating. Also, the tachometer will act strange, when pushing the clutch, it will sometimes go down low in Rpm instead of staying steady.

I have replaced the ignition switch so far.

Last edited by oldtimewine; 07-11-2016 at 07:28 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Update....I installed an ignition coil and no change. Changing rear filter and will update shortly.

Last edited by oldtimewine; 07-11-2016 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

A randomly clicking relay and randomly losing power to the pump sounds like an electrical issue in the system and not a filter.

Can you monitor the voltage across the battery with a volt meter while the engine is running? I'm wondering if this is something simple like a battery, battery cable, or alternator issue?

Old 07-12-2016, 10:56 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I just picked up a digital multimeter so I'll check everything under the sun.
Any other ideas on things I should check?

My main issue is no power is getting to the pump. When I do get power to it the car runs good until it looses power again. Constantly turning over the switch eventually kicks it back on but it's very inconsistent. I've changed the fuel pump relay, (located on the back of the fuse box), the pump (got another new pump this morning with no change), ignition coil and ignition switch.

Originally Posted by PAhonda
A randomly clicking relay and randomly losing power to the pump sounds like an electrical issue in the system and not a filter.

Can you monitor the voltage across the battery with a volt meter while the engine is running? I'm wondering if this is something simple like a battery, battery cable, or alternator issue?

Old 07-12-2016, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

I would verify that you are actually losing power to the fuel pump on the 12V wire with your volt meter. You would have to back-probe the wire. Then we can start working backwards to figure out the actual source of the problem.

Don't have the wiring diagram in front of me. Wire color should be yellow or black w/ yellow stripe?

Old 07-12-2016, 01:55 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I connected the fuel pump by a switch running directly to the battery and the car runs. I understand its a fast and dirty fix (I want to do this the right way)That brings a few more questions to the table.

1: would the bad wire be between the relay and fuel pump?
2: what is the best way to diagnose a general area to start looking for a break in connection?

Thanks to all that put time into my issue!

Quick Reply: Clicking near fuse box 87 accord dx