General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 08:46 PM
Default Clutch

About a month ago I had the slave and master cylinder of my clutch system replaced. It turns out there was nothing wrong with the slave and master cylinder, it was that the mount of the pedal to the floor was no longer attached on one side. Unfortunately we took out the slave and master cylinder before we thought to look at the mounting of the pedal. Prior to this the clutch was strong, never worried about
After the repair, everything seemed normal but now the clutch feels weaker, like I need to press it down further to get it to release than I used to. I checked the fluid levels and they are full.
Is there any adjustment on that clutch or is it all done automatically?

Old 03-12-2021, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

Did you use OEM parts for the master and slave cylinder?

Old 03-13-2021, 01:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Schleprock
About a month ago I had the slave and master cylinder of my clutch system replaced. ...
After the repair, everything seemed normal but now the clutch feels weaker, like I need to press it down further to get it to release than I used to...
Is there any adjustment on that clutch or is it all done automatically?
I don't know your car's year, but my '92 doesn't look (from the top) to have an adjustment, nor does the owners manual mention adjusting - just says check the fluid occasionally. And my motorcycle's hydraulic clutch has no adjustment.

Since you had significant clutch work done, the usual suspect is that there remains an air bubble in the system. I'd take it back to where you had the work done and politely note the problem; likely they will re-bleed the clutch fluid for free or nominal cost.

Old 03-13-2021, 09:04 PM

Its a 2005. and I don't know if it is OEM or not. but I will check into it with the mechanic. When I said "we" replaced it what I meant was my buddy the mechanic replaced it and I watched/ran and fetched (that kind of stuff). I didn't actually do anything.

Old 03-13-2021, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

The clutch pedal pushrod does have an adjustment. See attached pic for instructions. I'd recommend purchasing a shop manual for your car. You can get one from automanualsource.com as a pdf for ~$22 and is worth the investment for any DIY work done on your car.

Old 03-15-2021, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

If that pushrod was adjusted while the bracket was loose, it's possible it was adjusted into the wrong position. That adjustment should be repeated now that the bracket it tight.