General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

clutch issues!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 02:06 AM
Default clutch issues!!!

howdy! i got issues! i get in my 92 accord ex 5spd with 215k. and the clutch felt wrong. at first i thought is was just bc i had been drivin my "yota" for a few days. anyway i pump it a couple times and pull out. drivin through my apt complex i noticed that the clutch released very close to the bottom of the stroke. and the more i pedaled it the more it didn't want to come back up. not like its suposed to!!! well i parked it. thank god for an extra vehicle!

i checked the resevior. almost empty. i got some DOT3 toped it up. pumped it. no luck.

i got a length of tubing pushed it on the bleeder put it in a cup of fluid. attempted to bleed it pumped it till the bubbles stoped(from inside the tube) and dirty fluid appeared in the cup. no luck. the pedal is still at the floor!

as my gf pumped the clutch i noticed the slave cylinder end thing-a-ma-bob only moved about an 1/8 in. im not sure on what it should move normaly. i didn't see any leaks on th slave. i also inspected the clutch mc on the firewall as best as i could see back in the hole. didn't see any leakes.

i have had a slave cylinder replaced at least a year ago. (not sure exact date). and i would like to diy this project due to lack of funds. what im trying to determine is. whether the problem is the MC or the SC. i thought about gettin a flare plug to put in the line at the SC end fitting. to see if when i pumped the MC it would hold pressure. i don't know if that would work or not but it is just a thought. any input would be much appreciated i don't want to have to drive my 4x4 "yota" any more than i have to bc the gas pump is killin me.

thanks!

Old 01-06-2008, 03:39 AM
Default RE: clutch issues!!!

Sometimes when bleeding the bubbles stop, but if you keep going a bit longer you get another burst. Try agin before you panic.

Old 01-06-2008, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

MC may be failing. Look inside car on firewall for evidence of fluid leaks. The lost fluid went somewhere. See other post about clutch MC replacement. You need flare tubing wrench to release the hydraulic line w/o damaging the tubing nut.

good luck

Old 01-06-2008, 12:44 PM

usually the leaking from the clutch master cylinder is just seepage, bleeding it and topping it off regularily can prolong it's failure.

anyway, try bleeding it this way:

make sure the clutch pedal is up.
top off the clutch master cylinder reservoir.
break open the clutch slave cylinder bleeder screw and finger tighten it.
open the clutch slave cylinder bleeder screw 1/2 turn or so and manually push the shift fork toward the clutch slave cylinder. this will cause fluid to come out of the bleeder screw and draw fluid in from the clutch master cylinder fluid reservoir. finger tighten the bleeder screw and release the shift fork. repeat a few times, the pedal will be beautiful(or reflect the condition of the clutch, either way it will be doing its job unless the MC is completely dead)

doing it this way i get a very good pedal every time. doing it this way will not for an 01-05 civic btw...damn them...hehe

Old 01-06-2008, 11:51 PM

well guys here is an updat: still not workin. i bled the slave cylinder. like you said.i got some bubbles. and as i was pushin on the slave cylinder i noticed the seepage from under the boot do-hickey. so im guessin its the slave cylinder. i sprayed it down with break-kleen let it dry did it again and was deffinalty gettin some fluid. so im gonna get a slave cylinder tomorrow and try that. i also looked up under the dash and there was some traces of leaking back there too but it don't look too fresh. but what is the difference between a regular open ended wrench and a flare wrench. im gonna need to get one for the tubing. what size am i going to need?

Old 01-07-2008, 12:32 AM

A 'flare' spanner (hey, I'm Australian, they're not 'wrenches' over here!) looks like an ordinary ring spanner except that it has a cut in the ring large enough for the hydraulic line to pass through, and is a little thicker in the 'ring' than an ordinary ring spanner to help with stiffness taken away by having the gap. Otherwise you could only use an open ended spanner (can't get a ring spanner past the hydraulic line) and these are far more likely to round off the fitting hex.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:37 AM

i know what a spanner is i consider myself halfway well versed in uk/aussie lingo. i watch bbc and formula one!! ha ha ha. but anyway do we know what size ill need for that slave cylinder? i don't want to buy a set of wrenches that is going to cost more than the part im gonna replacing.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:01 AM

You'd be surprised how many Yanks would scratch their head at 'spanner', or otherwords not common in the USA.

As to the flare spanners, they're pretty cheap and come either as a set or singly. Even as a set they are surprisingly uncostly, at least over here. As to the size you need, I don't really know but it's most likely a 10mm.Try a metric open ender on the fitting just to get a size.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:09 AM

Here's a pic of a flare nut wrench
People also call them "crow's foot" wrenches. You likely need a 10mm, but I cannot be certain. You can find one at an auto parts store such as Advance Auto Parts or AutoZone for $5 or less:

Old 01-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

Here's a crow's foot. It's just an open-end wrenchto use with a socket extension.

Snap-on DOES make flare-wrench versions of crow's feet, but I didn't realize that until just now when I went to get this picture...

Quick Reply: clutch issues!!!