General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

clutch issues!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Default RE: clutch issues!!!

Oh...well down here in MS a lot of time people call flare nut wrenches crows foot wrenches.
Regardless, what you need is a flare nut wrench, not an open end wrench.
Get one like the one in the picture I posted.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:05 PM

alrighty guys im gonna go give it a shot! i ll let yall know!

Old 01-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You can use open end wrenches to size the nut. It should be 10mm, but check. I bought a set of 3 flare tubing wrenches for 3.99, They were CalHawk brand, a cheap china tool, but has worked fine for me.

good luck

Old 01-09-2008, 02:42 AM

ORIGINAL: TexasHonda

You can use open end wrenches to size the nut. It should be 10mm, but check. I bought a set of 3 flare tubing wrenches for 3.99, They were CalHawk brand, a cheap china tool, but has worked fine for me.
You can use an open ender, and you'll probably get away with it, but if you do round of the fitting, and they can be bloody tight sometimes, then you have a much bigger problem to deal with. For the cost of the proper tool (cheap!), you might as well evade easily avoidable problems.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:47 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

id just go to walmart, buy a cheap 10mm wrench for $2, and grind a hole in the top of it.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:16 PM

Not a good idea. An ordinary ring spanner isn't as thick in the ring as the flare spanner is, so if you cut it the 'ring' will become springy and tend to spread if the fitting is tight, increasing the risk of damaging the fitting hex. This will defeat the purpose, i.e. you might as well use an open end spanner. At least open enders are designed to be as'spread' resistant as reasonably possible, even if this isn't 100% successful. Also the flare spanners have a 'full' six sidedhex (minus part of one sidelost at the gap), ring spanners are typicallythe12 pointed design that is more likely to round off the hex corners, especially if the ring spreads.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:16 PM

ORIGINAL: nafango2

id just go to walmart, buy a cheap 10mm wrench for $2, and grind a hole in the top of it.
heheheheheh

Old 01-11-2008, 10:59 AM

ok so i have finally gotin around to workin on my car. we have been in a drought and go figure when my car is broken down every time i go to workin on it it rains! but anyway. i have got the slave on and been attempting to bleed it i have managed to get some dirty fluidfrom the system. but there is still no pedal at all! is there a way to bleed the system with out two people? bc i am trying to do this bymyself (figures all my friends have to work when my car is fubar) have a nice day

Old 01-11-2008, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

If you can figure out a way to push fluid INTO the bleeder valve on the slave, that should work (I've done it).

I've got a pressure bleeder, but people have used a clean new oil pump-canwith tubing, or a syringe, or something like that. You'll also need to remove fluid from the reservoir (turkey baster?)

Old 01-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I recently bled an Acura 2.2CL clutch system by filling a small bottle partially w/ brake fluid and routing a flexible tube from slave cyl. bleeder (just cracked open) into this fluid. Slowly pump clutch pedal to displace fluid into the catch bottle. Refill clutch reservoir frequently as it doesn't hold a lot. It takes a surprising amount of bleeding to get all the air out, perhaps 50-75 clutch pumps (I didn't count). Air kept bleeding out for a long time. After completion, close bleeder before removing drain line from catch bottle.

Doing this as a 1-man job will require blind pumping till you are getting clean fluid. I would simply do 25 pumps, close bleeder, check pedal, and then repeat as necessary.

good luck

Quick Reply: clutch issues!!!