General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

clutch issues!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 06:59 PM
Default RE: clutch issues!!!

i posted a one man way to bleed it already.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

ORIGINAL: HondatechAV6

usually the leaking from the clutch master cylinder is just seepage, bleeding it and topping it off regularily can prolong it's failure.

anyway, try bleeding it this way:

make sure the clutch pedal is up.
top off the clutch master cylinder reservoir.
break open the clutch slave cylinder bleeder screw and finger tighten it.
open the clutch slave cylinder bleeder screw 1/2 turn or so and manually push the shift fork toward the clutch slave cylinder. this will cause fluid to come out of the bleeder screw and draw fluid in from the clutch master cylinder fluid reservoir. finger tighten the bleeder screw and release the shift fork. repeat a few times, the pedal will be beautiful(or reflect the condition of the clutch, either way it will be doing its job unless the MC is completely dead)

doing it this way i get a very good pedal every time. doing it this way will not for an 01-05 civic btw...damn them...hehe
I like this. You start a stream of fluid from the reservoir w/ the slave cylinder and watch until you get a clear stream. I think you'll need some extra fluid handy to top off the MC reservoir periodically.

thanks

Old 01-12-2008, 12:46 AM

yeah hondatechAV6 i have been doing it your way. and thats how i have been getting the dirty fluid. i got a length of tubing on the bleeder valve going into a cup with the end in the fluid so i don't suck air back into theslave. as of right now i haven't got any pedal the spring on the pedal just pulls it to the floor board as soon as you push it. im going to comandere the services of my girlfriend in the am to assist me with the "traditional" bleeding process. but i think i am going to try the pushin fluid back into through the bleeder. im afraid im gonna have to get a new master cylinder too. i know the slave was bad bc when i was initally tryin to bleed the sysytem before i took it apart i could hear it suckin air.i can't hear any now tho. i just cant beleive that both would go out at the same time tho. you guys do know your stuff!

Old 01-12-2008, 10:04 AM

i'm not using a hose on the bleeder. i posted the politically correct version, my version is the same except i use my finger to cover the bleeder as i release the shift fork instead of finger tightening it over and over. releasing my finger from the bleeder screw to fill up the master cylinder isn't going to allow air into the slave cylinder either. you can open the bleeder screw and let it drain all day as long as you keep the master cylinder topped off. that's it..where do you live? i'm coming over right now, break out the beer!

Old 01-12-2008, 04:35 PM

well guys, that did the trick!!!! i started out by takin the tube i was using off the bleeder valve and proceded to bleed it hondatechAV6's way. using my finger and that got me about 1/3 of a pedal. so since my girlfriend was here i got her to operate the pedal and with in 15 min she was back to "normal" or as best i can tell. my "yota" has a really stiff pedal so its hard for me to tell anymore. so thanks alot for all the help. btw how much does is labor on this job at a normal shop? just wonderin tryin to determin how much i possible saved if any?

Old 01-12-2008, 11:39 PM

we charge 1 hour labor to replace the clutch master and 1 hour to replace the slave. bleeding it is included. i'm glad it worked out for you! spin the wheels for me a few times!