General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Clutchless Shifting on my 94

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 10:05 PM
Question Clutchless Shifting on my 94

1994 V4 Manual

sup fellow accord drivers,

I was just looking for some general input and advice about something that I have been looking into for my accord.

My Accord has been through two drivers (my dad when he bought it new, my older brother whom it was passed down to, and now me). Both previous drivers took good care of the car, it has been regarded as a fuel efficient vehicle moreso than a "fun-fast" car. I'm an mpg freak and usually get about 29 to 30 mpgs on it.

Lately, I have been reading up on "clutchless shifting" on the internet and thought it would be cool to try it....i started up my 94 (always starts, such a reliable car) and clutched it into first, after that I stopped using the clutch and proceeded into second, third, fourth. There was some grinding but i eventually learned how to shift clutchless with no grinding whatsoever....like i mentioned above, i am suuper gas conservative, and take the revs up to about 2 when i shift...the clutchless shift is smooth, and my engine doesn't even lug.

I guess I have two questions for you guys....

1.) is this safe for my tranny?
2.) will this help me save gas?

And if you're going to comment on this and say something like "the clutch is there for a reason" or something douchy like that, don't bother haha.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:28 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

1) no
2) I do not see how this would give you any better MPG

Old 04-01-2011, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator

Whether it's safe for your trans depends on your skill doing it. It's very easy to miss & grind, as you discovered while learning on your other car. If you're PERFECT, there's no damage at all. As much as you think you're doing it smoothly, it's probably not perfect. Does the lever shift into gear without resistance from the synchros? If you have to use the least amount of extra force, then it's doing some damage even without grinding.

It won't do anything for MPG. At all. I've had to do this on several occasions to get home on a broken clutch.