General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Code P0341 and P1009 (again)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 05:37 PM
Default Code P0341 and P1009 (another)

I did the search and I have read dozens and dozens of articles and threads and watched dozens of videos on these codes.

I have a 2010 Honda Accord LX 5 speed with a 4 cylinder K24 engine. I have changed the VTC solenoid, the VVT actuator, both cam sensors, and the chain tensioner. I only changed the tensioner because I had to mess with it to get the VVT actuator off, so why not change it?.

Before I started I checked the timing marks of the intake and exhaust cams versus the mark on the crankshaft pulley. Everything was pretty darn close to be right on. The big question was where exactly was straight up for the vertical marks. Is it straight to the sky or to the cam shaft as the engine and cylinders are not perpendicular to the ground? With the marks on each sprocket pointed at each other, the notch on the crankshaft pulley aligned with the mark on the casting and the other marks were pointed basically upward and pendicular to the engine. With the stock timing chain, we were hard pressed to find the odd colored links (do they exist on the stock chain?) so we made our own so we could keep track.

As mentioned, I have changed the VTC solenoid, the VVT actuator, both cam sensors, and the chain tensioner. It does not appear the chain is stretched according to the timing marks and the engine runs smooth. What other item could be the cause of the P0341 and P1009 codes?

Last edited by TonyWhite; 07-31-2020 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

Since you did the work on the VTC actuator, the only item left is the timing chain is stretched. I think you need to replace the timing chain.

Old 08-01-2020, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Since you did the work on the VTC actuator, the only item left is the timing chain is stretched. I think you need to replace the timing chain.
I can get all the marks on the cams to align perfectly and in alignment with one of the notches on the crankshaft belt pulley. Which mark on the belt pulley is the one to be used?

Old 08-01-2020, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

For TDC, the dots stamped on the sprockets point up at 12 o'clock. The notches in the sprocket align next to each other at 3 and 9 o'clock. The notches are more important to align, The dots generally pointing up mean the you are on the correct stroke to TDC, because the camshaft spins one turn for every 2 turns of the crankshaft.

For aligning TDC on the crankshaft, the shop manual is confusing because it looks like there is another pointer on the timing cover at 2 o'clock and several notches. The best way to verify TDC is to remove the crankshaft pulley and align the dot on the timing chain sprocket underneath the crank pulley.

Another item to consider is that as the engine spins the chain, the force of spinning will extend the chain to it's maximum stretch. The tensioner will take up the slack up to a certain point. I've seen timing chain videos with the same P0341 where the "worn" chain wasn't much longer than the new chain (maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch).

I'd suggest verifying TDC on the crankshaft chain sprocket, if it is good, then replace the timing chain. I have only see timing chain replacement fix a P0341 code that does not include a crank or cam sensor error.

Old 08-01-2020, 04:40 PM

As of now the belt pulley notch aligns with the mark on the timing chain cover while the notches on the the intake and exhaust sprockets align at 3 and 9 o'clock. This all looks correct and good. At the moment the only indicator I have are the 1009 and 0341 error codes. I'm working to avoid the effort of removing the timing chain cover as nothing appears out of time or sync. I'm thinking of using a dial indicator for testing the stroke to verify TDC via the spark plug hole. If the notch on the sprocket indicates TDC, the dial indicator does the same thing. This should provide another was to find TDC and compare the cam shaft marks. Thoughts?

Old 08-02-2020, 06:52 PM

On the timing chain sprocket on the crankshaft, I see the dot for the timing chain gold link. On the oil pump sprocket there is a dot and a triangle which is the TDC mark, the dot or the triangle? Which mark should align with the mark on the engine block?

Old 08-02-2020, 09:01 PM

Hope this helps

Old 08-02-2020, 09:18 PM

I wonder what the dot is for? I don't mean the do on the sprocket for the timing chain. There is a dot on the same sprocket as the triangle.

I have that video followed to a tee. Everything is set just as that video shows. Everything lines up perfectly. It got dark before I could put the crankshaft pulley back on. Once I have the pulley and belt on I will report back.

Old 08-02-2020, 10:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You don't need the pulley or belt on to crank the car and test to be sure everything is correct. Always test before putting everything back together.

Old 08-02-2020, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

To check for a damaged or stretched cam chain, the procedure is to measure the cam chain auto-tensioner rod length. If it is more than 13.5mm, the cam chain is bad. Also, see this other thread:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...-accord-59756/