General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Convert CVT Fluid To Full Synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 09:54 PM
Default Convert CVT Fluid To Full Synthetic

I'd like to run Amsoil (HCF-2 compatible) synthetic CVT fluid in my 2017 Accord LX.
Anyone done drain/fill x3 or 4, and had successful (and safe) results?
Anyone had bad experience doing this?

Old 01-23-2021, 10:18 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by gadgetball
I'd like to run Amsoil (HCF-2 compatible) synthetic CVT fluid in my 2017 Accord LX.
Lol. I would love to here the results with that. I have never heard of it since the CVTs are so sensitive. Maybe someone else has. If it were done I would think a full flush is in order but maybe the fluid is compatible to mix

Old 01-24-2021, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

I'm thinking REALLY bad idea. Why? Unless you can confirm via a serious deep scientific analysis the Coefficient of Friction (CoF) is virtually identical to HCF-2, then using the Scamzoil stuff, which is "Recommended for" but not certified "Compatible with", HCF-2, then using their Synthetic CVT Fluid can lead to accelerated transmission wear.

Old 01-24-2021, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
I'm thinking REALLY bad idea. Why? Unless you can confirm via a serious deep scientific analysis the Coefficient of Friction (CoF) is virtually identical to HCF-2, then using the Scamzoil stuff, which is "Recommended for" but not certified "Compatible with", HCF-2, then using their Synthetic CVT Fluid can lead to accelerated transmission wear.
The OEM fluid is dino fluid, correct? Synthetic fluid is ALWAYS better than dino fluid- that's a given from the start. Flash points are always much higher on synthetics too....though I am unsure how hot these Honda fluids get under 'severe' usage (...does anyone know? 200F? 250F? 300+F?)

Scamzoil? What?! Amsoil is quality. Overpriced sometimes, but in the case of Honda CVT fluids, not much more expensive than Honda's OEM dino fluid.

And "serious deep scientific analysis"? How about just the basic givens when we compare the benefits of synthetic over conventional; let's not make it too difficult and confusing- https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/1290/synthetic-conventional-oils

Found this:

Last edited by gadgetball; 01-24-2021 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

The OEM fluid is dino fluid, correct? Synthetic fluid is ALWAYS better than dino fluid- that's a given from the start. Flash points are always much higher on synthetics too....though I am unsure how hot these Honda fluids get under 'severe' usage (...does anyone know? 200F? 250F? 300+F?)

Scamzoil? What?! Amsoil is quality. Overpriced sometimes, but in the case of Honda CVT fluids, not much more expensive than Honda's OEM dino fluid.

And "serious deep scientific analysis"? How about just the basic givens when we compare the benefits of synthetic over conventional; let's not make it too difficult and confusing- https://www.machinerylubrication.com...ventional-oils

Found this: https://youtu.be/U5XmlofiIfs
Please stop drinking the Kool-Aid, there is nothing special about that company or its products, errr, except for the legions of brainwashed minions running around making videos on how great they *think* their product is.

When it comes to transmission fluid, the base oil, conventional, semi-synthetic, or full-synthetic, is secondary to the CoF of the fluid. The fact is, a fully petroleum based ATF or CVT fluid with the correct CoF will far outperform a fully synthetic ATF or CVT with the incorrect CoF.

As for the base oil used in Honda's HCF-2; I've never looked into it, but I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts it is at least semi-synthetic.

Last edited by shipo; 01-24-2021 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
Please stop drinking the Kool-Aid, there is nothing special about that company or its products, errr, except for the legions of brainwashed minions running around making videos on how great they *think* their product is.

When it comes to transmission fluid, the base oil, conventional, semi-synthetic, or full-synthetic, is secondary to the CoF of the fluid. The fact is, a fully petroleum based ATF or CVT fluid with the correct CoF will far outperform a fully synthetic ATF or CVT with the incorrect CoF.

As for the base oil used in Honda's HCF-2; I've never looked into it, but I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts it is at least semi-synthetic.
can you please provide a link or 2 regarding this CoF you keep mentioning, and why it is reason not to use Amsoil.
I looked at Amsoil's data sheet, and zero mention of CoF....but the thing I mentioned- flash point- is extremely good: 220C! That's 428F. Honda CVT flash point is 360F. This means the non-synthetic fluid will burn/get sludgey at 360F. But I suppose this doesn't matter if Honda CVTs don't ever heat up to 300F...do/can they?

Last edited by gadgetball; 01-24-2021 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

A link? I'm not sure what you're asking for is deliverable. The fact is, every manufacturer of automatic and CVT transmissions designs the friction components and the computers which drive them to use a very specific CoF in the fluid; if the CoF is too slippery, the clutches and bands slip too much and cause accelerated wear and heat; if the CoF is not slippery enough, all of the internal friction components grab too hard which in turn transmits greater shock and stress to the internal transmission components and the rest of the drive train. The thing about individual company designs is that they do not publish such things as they are trade secrets. With this in mind, do you honestly believe each of the companies Scamzoil lists on their "Recommended" chart design their transmissions to expect the same CoF? If you can somehow coax your brain to wrap itself around that concept, then feel free to use their products, otherwise, stick with either HCF-2, or other fluids which are certified to be HCF-2 compliant.

Old 01-24-2021, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Flash point is a test where you heat a sample until a spark causes the sample to ignite. It is a very specialized piece of equipment that I've run in a previous job. Flash point is a DOT requirement on a SDS for transporting bulk materials. Flash point has nothing to do with fluid stability. Both 428 and 360 °F are high temperatures that will never be reached in a CVT, so I wouldn't assume one is better that another based on flash point.

I'd recommend calling amsoil's customer service and get someone that is technical on the line and ask them if their cvt fluid will cause any harm vs Honda's OEM CVT fluid. With that information, you can make the decision to stick with Honda's or use Amsoil's CVT fluid. Ultimately it is up to you on what fluid to use in your vehicle.

Old 01-24-2021, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Flash point is a test where you heat a sample until a spark causes the sample to ignite. It is a very specialized piece of equipment that I've run in a previous job. Flash point is a DOT requirement on a SDS for transporting bulk materials. Flash point has nothing to do with fluid stability. Both 428 and 360 °F are high temperatures that will never be reached in a CVT, so I wouldn't assume one is better that another based on flash point.

I'd recommend calling amsoil's customer service and get someone that is technical on the line and ask them if their cvt fluid will cause any harm vs Honda's OEM CVT fluid. With that information, you can make the decision to stick with Honda's or use Amsoil's CVT fluid. Ultimately it is up to you on what fluid to use in your vehicle.
The Amsoil folks have a decades long history of providing misleading information on such things, hence their reliance on language such as, "recommended for" as opposed to "certified compatible with" in their advertising literature, hence the moniker, "Scamzoil". Said another way, I rather doubt a call to them directly will provide any truthful/meaningful information.

Old 01-24-2021, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Shipo - I always recommend OEM products when feasible and usually say if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I won't make a blanketed judgement on a company like Amsoil, or any other company. Lubes company's products have to pass certain standard certifications. The end-user has to do their homework on what product to use and will need to research an aftermarket product.

For gadgetball - Consider the price difference of Amsoil's vs Honda's CVT. Is it worth the price difference compared to replacing a CVT? I don't think a CVT would gain any performance by going to a synthetic CVT fluid vs Honda's CVT. At the end of the day, it is your vehicle, so you will decide what is better. Let us know what you decide and keep us updated if your CVT runs into problems in the future.

Quick Reply: Convert CVT Fluid To Full Synthetic